SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the 91 intake cam, JDM intake cam, DET intake cam, which cam would net the best gain for a b14? Anyone know which is the biggest cam?

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
Out of the 91 intake cam, JDM intake cam, DET intake cam, which cam would net the best gain for a b14? Anyone know which is the biggest cam?</font>
I lost power going to a 91 I-cam. I was running 15.3's @89-90 in hot hummid weather. In 70* weather this week with the 91 I-cam my best was a 15.4 at 87.7mph. I felt the car was slower but I dynoed it at 138whp which sounds about right. I don't have dyno numbers prior to the I-cam. This is just my personal experiance with the cam YRMV.

·
Registered
440 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soupaflie</font>
I lost power going to a 91 I-cam. I was running 15.3's @89-90 in hot hummid weather. In 70* weather this week with the 91 I-cam my best was a 15.4 at 87.7mph. I felt the car was slower but I dynoed it at 138whp which sounds about right. I don't have dyno numbers prior to the I-cam. This is just my personal experiance with the cam YRMV.

Are you sure that is enough evidence to blame your slower time on the cam? .1 sec is not much at all! Were all things the same as your previous run? Tires? Tire pressure? How long ago was it? Plugs OK? Just some things to consider before the cam becomes your reason. later

------------------

What the heck is that?!?
Quick, somebody give me a rock!!
www.nismo00.nissanpower.com

[This message has been edited by nismo00 (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nismo00:
Originally posted by Soupaflie

Are you sure that is enough evidence to blame your slower time on the cam? .1 sec is not much at all! Were all things the same as your previous run? Tires? Tire pressure? How long ago was it? Plugs OK? Just some things to consider before the cam becomes your reason. later
Considering how much better the weather was and the addition of the cam I was expecting more. It's not so much the time as the mph. I was trapping at 90+ and it dropped almost 2.5 mph. That, anyway you look at it is a power loss.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Either you installed it wrong, or th ecam is worn out. I picked up 9 whp with the cam and my wife's car picked up 14whp with the cam and 19 deg timing. Take the valve cover off and verify the cam timing is correct. What mods do you have? I saw you dynoed at 138, so I would like to see your mods to see if that is a correct number. Was the dyno a DynoJet?

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
Either you installed it wrong, or th ecam is worn out. I picked up 9 whp with the cam and my wife's car picked up 14whp with the cam and 19 deg timing. Take the valve cover off and verify the cam timing is correct. What mods do you have? I saw you dynoed at 138, so I would like to see your mods to see if that is a correct number. Was the dyno a DynoJet?</font>
I'll add my sig this time for the engine mods. It was a dynojet 248c I have the charts but I don't have them scanned. I thought maybe my cam timing was off prior to the dyno run cause it feels slower. But the dyno numbers put my mind at ease reguarding the cam timing.

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, CN Exhaust, 91 I-cam, 138whp/128wtq, Coming attractions: Toda Racing cams

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
Out of the 91 intake cam, JDM intake cam, DET intake cam, which cam would net the best gain for a b14? Anyone know which is the biggest cam?</font>
It's been said that the '91 intake cam and the DET (Bluebird) intake cam are same. There have been some speculation on the 10:1 Primera intake cam, though. I remember someone from SoCal got his hands on Primera cams into his B14 and had gains similar to the JWT S1 cams. Though we were speculating that those cams were not stock Primera cams... But who knows...

--Andrew Phan

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
My car with HS 2nd gen header, PR CAI w/o POP, Courtesy b-pipe with Stillen muffler, '93 cam, 17 deg timing made 142whp and 128 ft-lbs. Have you done a tune up lately? The only thing I can think of is you might need a tune up, or the cam is worn out.

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
My car with HS 2nd gen header, PR CAI w/o POP, Courtesy b-pipe with Stillen muffler, '93 cam, 17 deg timing made 142whp and 128 ft-lbs. Have you done a tune up lately? The only thing I can think of is you might need a tune up, or the cam is worn out.</font>
Most tune-up issues are less than 15k old. Except the plug wires are 20k old. I think I'll do a tune up anyways just to see.

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, CN Exhaust, 91 I-cam, 138whp/128wtq, Coming attractions: Toda Racing cams

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
It's been said that the '91 intake cam and the DET (Bluebird) intake cam are same. There have been some speculation on the 10:1 Primera intake cam, though. I remember someone from SoCal got his hands on Primera cams into his B14 and had gains similar to the JWT S1 cams. Though we were speculating that those cams were not stock Primera cams... But who knows...

--Andrew Phan

</font>
Thank you, sir!

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Im currently running a cam of a 92 BBDET and I felt a nice little power increase(Seat of the pants) especially after about 4 grand..the car seems to pull a little harder than before.

------------------
96 200sx Rice Mobile! Bone Stock..he,he,he

·
Registered
765 Posts
James Vick, a very willing and helpful member on this board, installed a 91 intake cam into my 95 200SX SE-R last weekend. But at the same time, I upgraded to 17" wheels (re: heavier!)

After driving the car for a few days, I can say my low-mid range feels weaker, but after 5500RPMs the car seems to pull better than before which has to be the 91 cam doing its stuff. I will be dynoing here pretty soon to see how it's really running but I dont have any baseline hp#'s to compare it to...

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, KYB AGX, Eibach ProKit, audio
'99 Prelude base - CAI, Greddy SP
'02 TL Type S - Stock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts