SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a HS CAI from Import Parts Plus on Feb 8th. Still waiting. William called me last night and asked if I had a AIV valve. My car is an early 93 with high port head, did this have an AIV or was it just the low port head cars that have them? HELP!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Go pop your hood. If you see a little black box between the valve cover and the radiator you have an AIV. Its a box that has a tube running over to the air box top. Easy to spot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont all of the SR20s have this box? My wifes 96 G20 has one and so does my car. William asked me this because apparently the MAF adapter is different. I told him I did not think my car had this will the intake still work?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Hmmm dont think the 95+ se-r's have them. The low port motors that is. Atleast I think. Your 93 has the high port(throttle body down low under everythign), just makeing sure this is what you have. You should have an AIV it was there to help with emmisions. What he was wanting to know is which adapter to send you. If you have an AIV then they send an adapter that has the connection for the hose off the AIV. Yes the intake will work hes just making sure you dont have to buy the extra baby K&N filter for the AIV, since some have theorized that my hurt the AIV. So just go look at the engine make sure its there, should be, then tell him you have an AIV. If you told him you dont have one and he sends you the adapter without the fitting you can do one of two things. 1: send it back wait a couple extra days to get the right one. Or 2: live without the adapter and get a baby K&N filter for the AIV outlet. For the proper K&N filter number check the archives search for baby K&N that should turn up the number, put Kevin Hart baby K&N that should definatly get it cause I put it in the archives last year.

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
mine does.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,when he called me last night my wife had my car and I had hers. 96 G20 no AIV
93 NX now that I can look at my car does have the valve. I gave William the Vin # to give Hot Shot so hopefully they will be able to send me the right one. Once again THANKS. SEE YALL 2MORROW.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just some FYI's here...

The '91 - '93 cars should have an AIV. HS Makes a MAF adapter plate that has a hole for the hose from the AIV. They sent me the wrong MAF adapter plate, but I made it work by capping off the AIV. The concensus was that the AIV wasn't necessary. You can also order the baby K&N filter to go on the AIV.

There are 2 black boxes on the NX. The front one is the AIV resonator. The AIV itself is silver in color. The other black box that all of the SR20's should have is the Oil separator.

Hope some of that was helpful.

Ben

------------------
'93 NX2K

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by forget:
DITCH THE AIV!!

</font>
Hey man do you just plug off the hose or remove the whole box and ****?

-Kevin

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
what dose the avi do ? i know its some thing with polution control, when i did my intake i just put a tinny kn filter on it to replace the hose from the air box

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just take off the whole box. it is useless. it just is a resonator thingy. plug or crimp all hoses going to it. i you need more info, lemme know. it's been a while since i ****ed with mine, but i can look at my pictures and tell you.

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the aiv does what all emmissions stuff does: kill hp. ditch it all!

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't think the AIV effects HP at all.

It injects fresh air into the exhaust system. It is supposed to help with Cat light off. It is supposed to help keep the cat cleaner or help the car run cleaner or something like that. There is a good explanation on SE-R.net.

I also read somewhere that if you get a JWT ECU, they can program it to actually make the car run cleaner without the AIV.

Ben

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by forget:
the aiv does what all emmissions stuff does: kill hp. ditch it all!

</font>

------------------
'93 NX2K

·
_______
3,640 Posts
You should have two boxes. One to the left of the exhaust mani and one on top of the mani. The one on top of the many is your AVI thingy the one to the left of your exhaust mani is your oil catch can for the VC. Don't take the oil catch thingy off! The 95+'s don't have the AVI thingy.

Mike

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea the AIV doesnt affect the HP at all. No robber there. All it is for is to freshen up the emmsissions a little with fresh air. Unless its acting up or broken no real point to remove it. If its messed up its usualy costly to replace it.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All it is for is to freshen up the emmsissions a little with fresh air.</font>
Actually,it helps light off the cat during cold starts. '94+ Nissan utilize a different ECU program to help the cat light off,so they don't need an AIV.
BTW,JWT has an updated program for the '91-93 cars that will alloy you to remove your AIV and still burn clean.

------------------
Thomas Fox
'93 NX2000
www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Homepage.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts