SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I buy a good intercooler, I want it to be the BEST I can get for my application. Mike I think has an HKS one. Somewhere (like maybe on the SE-R list) I read that this IC was a lower quality one. Of about that same size, what's the best IC I can get? I will be ordering the turbo piping from Hotshot for my turbo. Should I order the IC from them too? Is it pretty good? How about FMAX's IC? Or one straight from Spearco? How about other manufacturers? Educate me

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Hot shot uses HKS. The best one out that I can think of is probably the new Spearco featured in the first few pages of the new SCC. For me the HKS works great and it was the cheapest one I found in the size I was looking for.

Mike

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
I'm using a Spearco, that's what FMAX uses in their kits. Both Ryan B. and Mike M. have the Spearco. I had the HKS in my NX, it's the same IC that Hotshot uses in their turbo kits, and it's smaller than the Spearco that FMAX uses. That little HKS is pretty efficient though.

Pics of my intercooler: http://www.xaqtly.com and go to the car section.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Would you be able to use the F-Max IC and piping on a BB DET with the the stock T25? Or is it just totally different?

Mel

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Totally different. The BB DET has a top-mounted intercooler from the factory. In order to do a front mount you have to get custom plumbing made up. Hotshot may still be working on a DET front-mount IC conversion kit, I don't know when that will be done though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually I was wondering if you could just replace the stock BB DET interheater setup with the IC & IC piping from the F-Max kit. Does that make sense?

Mel

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really. The Fmax turbo sits much higher in the engine bay so the piping would be different. But the normal Hotshot turbo piping would be very close. I also understand that they are making a kit so you can drop a DET in your American SE-R and obviously are making piping for that. When I get a little more $$$ in the next few months I will give Hotshot a call and see how far along they are on the piping. Who knows, maybe they have that part done enough that you could just purchase it? Give them a call

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
or just go all out and get an air to water i/c. oh wait, it does not get that hot in good ol' Indiana. talking TX talk. where 95 degrees feels cool today

1 - 8 of 8 Posts