SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would ask this in here because it had probably been discussed enough times. I did a search and came up with nothing though.

I have been reading through the forums and notice a lot of people have blown up their engines. I see a lot of "I was climbing into third gear and the car just died. Now my engine is blown", or something very similar. Is this common or something?

·
Banned
3,740 Posts
any motor can blow easy, lack of oil is a good way. A stock internal det will handle about 400whp, now tht doesnt mean if you redline it 24/7 its gonna last long. Sr's dont just blow up for no reason, its usually due to bad tuning or lack of oil. A common problem is the wear that rod bearings get and they get spun. Again, tahts due to lack of oil. Sometimes people downshift to a lower gear on accident and they are driving to fast for taht gear, the motor will sky rocket in rpm, way past what it should rocker arms will be thrown and engine damage will can occur. Greddy rocker arm stoppers are a great way to prevent rocker arms from being thrown at high rpm. but if ur going 90 and throw it into 2nd. The rpm will be way to high. Anything can blow any motor, sr's are strong motors and will handle boost and nitrous IF tuned and paid attention to daily.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
theres too many variables involved to determine if an engine blows easy or not. if every owner of the car changed the oil and filter every 3,000 or less miles and didnt slam it every day, then it could live to see 300k miles. if the previous owners slipped up on the oil changes and drove the car hard every day it might not last to see 100k. the main reason the majority of sr20s blow is cause of loss of oil pressure. they usually throw a rod through the block. but these engines werent made to be reliable like your typical family 4 door car. they were made with a sports sedan in mind. people arent gonna buy a sports car just to drive it slow and p-foot it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW. Thanks for the quick replies guys. I think to be on the safe side, the first mod for this car will be a 3 guage pod, and obviously one of the guages will be oil pressure. Thats one guage I love to have on every vehicle I own. It saved my Beretta when I didn't know I had lost all oil out of a leaky plug gasket (of all things).

Oh and what the heck is up with the dipstick in a Sentra? Is that seriously supposed to be accessed? I about never got the thing back in.

·
Low Budget Fun
106 Posts
Sugarfuzz said:
I see a lot of "I was climbing into third gear and the car just died. Now my engine is blown", or something very similar. Is this common or something?

I think what you mean is, "I was climbing into third gear and my TRANNY just died."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure it is. It's simple, just drain all the oil and bounce the motor off of the rev limiter until you hear a loud bang.
Yeah, I'd say that'll do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts