SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
funny, we actually talked about this in physics class.
when the windows are rolled down, the drag on the car increases, therefore the engine must work "slightly" harder to pull the car.
when the AC is on with the window is up, the ac uses up some of the energy from the engine.
my physics teacher then informed us about a study that found out that the most fuel efficient way is to have the windows up and burn to death.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERboy:
my physics teacher then informed us about a study that found out that the most fuel efficient way is to have the windows up and burn to death.</font>
hahahahah no arguments there

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Believe it or not, the FSM states that it is MORE efficient to leave the AC ON with windows up.

-saaby

·
Registered
705 Posts
haha, cool...A new quiz for all my friends.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know the factory owners manuals have said that for years. You know the nice happy picture of a car sweating and flying dollar bills around it. They have been using that picture since at least 1976.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Ok, think of it this way.

Maybe going like 80mph+ with all your windows completely down is less efficient than going 50mph with the windows up and the A/C on.

But I think at a steady speed of 50, its more efficient to put the windows down rather than use A/C.

-----------

Jordan "I hate my ECU" White

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
I once got 39 mpg cruising through Florida in July with the AC cranked. YMMV.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I can't drive 70-75 on the highway for 45 min in 80 degrees or hotter weather without the AC. The noise bothers me too much. I've tried to do it to save gas, but I only found it was even between windows down/no AC and windows up with AC. And I was more comfortable with the windows up and the AC on.
Thats on the highway. I think that around town or at slower speeds your better off using the windows for gas mileage.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
since a lot of our cars are tinted, I think what works well is putting the A/C on low using the fresh air setting, popping the sunroof up, and pulling the shade a little more than halfway. Also close the passenger side vent. This way more air goes through the vents, it is air conditioned, it's all on ME, and I get most efficiency!

·
Registered
708 Posts
In So Cal in the summer even at 80 with the windows down you will cook! Especially if you have a black car!

------------------
Art R.
1992 Sentra SE-R
SCCA Solo II Driver
Cal Club #823 E Stock

G

·
0 Posts
Having the windows and/or sunroof down sucks while rolling at freeway speeds. It's just too LOUD. I have trouble hearing my stereo and the wind just beats me upside the head.

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
JWT Intake and ECU
2 1/4 Exhaust
Short Shifter that's still too tall...
Other nifty items...

·
Registered
400 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Johnny GreenBack:
Having the windows and/or sunroof down sucks while rolling at freeway speeds. It's just too LOUD. I have trouble hearing my stereo and the wind just beats me upside the head.

</font>
hahaha true dat, i've gone 105 in the interstate with both windows down and sunroof open, can't hear anything...

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UrbN:
hahaha true dat, i've gone 105 in the interstate with both windows down and sunroof open, can't hear anything...
</font>
lol try with no t-tops on and the windows down thats loud

------------------

92 NX2000, kyb agx, intrax springs, jwt pop,
3a Racing muffler with bonzi tip,
17 " mille miglia mm 112, Yokoham avid h4

1 - 18 of 18 Posts