SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching old threads on bad/unstable idling. Anyway, my idle fluctuates between 750-850. Also, when I checked my timing, it wouldn't remain steady. It would jump around a bit. I tried two different timing lights too. Is that normal? The car feels fine, just the idle and timing are making me nervous.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
My bounces around between 1000 and 900, but thats because of the cams. Try cleaning the throttle body. That usually takes care of most idle problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose I could give that a try. My car only has 35k miles though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
often fluctuating of RPMs is caused by a vacum leak. if at all possable find a vacume pump and see if you car is holding a vacum. when you have a leak the mass air sensor is reading a cirtain amount of air and then if you have a leak your car is actually getting a different amount than the car thinks causeing the car to run lean/ rich. the best thing to do is get a squirt bottle and fill it with soapy water and spray it on all of the vacum line fittings, like where the vacume comes off the manifold and goes to the brake booster. if you see the water acting eraticly than there is your problem. another way is to spray wd-40 on all the same places and it will begin to idle good if you hit the leak.
good luck:D
chris

·
Registered
301 Posts
when i advanced my timing my idle was different... it sounds fine to me. Mine idle is usually at 800 850, little higher when its cold but i dont think you have much to worry about .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts