SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question about a couple of months back and no one answereed.
I have a 97 200sx and I was wondering if it was covered on the power train warranty? If it is I need to do this in the next month because the car was born on 12/96. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
How is it fixed? Mine doesn't too it that much anymore, but my wife's does all the time. The born on date(remember the Budwiser comercials with that)doesn't matter, its the purchase date that counts. My car is a '96, but I bought it March of '97, so I still have 10k miles and 5 months left. Sort of.

·
Registered
301 Posts
ya i got that damn start up clatter, everytime its cold, whats the deal with that anyways? how is it fixed, new belts ?

HELP!:eek:

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
WhiteSER20 said:
ya i got that damn start up clatter, everytime its cold, whats the deal with that anyways? how is it fixed, new belts ?

HELP!:eek:
Jerry Seinfeld?

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
the clater is from a lack of oil in the lifters on start up, i have it on my nx and i dont have a clue on how to fix it. if you only get it from when its cold you probly should change your oil so it stays thiner when cold.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
humm.... I thought it was something inside the starter, and replacing the starter fixed it. Maybe im wrong, thats just what I remember reading a little while ago.

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
there is starter squeal, that kinda make the car sounds like a pig geting it tail pulled.
but the clater sound its like a bunch of rapid taping that last for a sec on a cold start up.
thats the lifters.

·
Registered
105 Posts
okay, is this the same thing as starting 'dry'? My car just started doing it and it sounds terrible. I had my friend start my car while I listened with the hood up. It sounds 'dry'. I can't really explain the sound. I'm using a nissan oil filter because I read that helps prevent dry starts, but the sound is still there when I crank the engine.

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was wondering what needs to actually be replaced? Is it the starter? If you can tell me a dealership in the CT area that will take care of this let me know. I have tried every dealership in a 30 mile radius and they wouldnt help me. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Oops, I need to learn to read the enite subject line. I thought it said Start Up clatter, not starter clatter. Move along now, there's nothing to see here, just a monkey playing with a keyboard.

·
Registered
301 Posts
im talking about startup clatter.... i just changed my oil like 500 miles ago, so i doubt its about thin oil. Its just when its cold. Its not a big deal but it tends to piss me off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Change the timing chain tensioner to eliminate startup clatter. Costs around $40 and it takes under a half hour. No problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What oil brand and weight is eveyone using?

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30!!!

·
8,148 Posts
Mobil 10W30 but are changing to 5W30 next oil change. I hear there is a 5W40. I would like toi try that. I used Castrol 10W40 Syntec for the Convention.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mobil 1 5w30 seems to be too thin for our motors. Blend one or two qts of 10w30 to the
5w30 for a better oil "FILM", or go with 10w30. Right now I'm using Royal Purple 21
5w30, good stuff... so far no start up clatter and my motor seems to run better.
Mobil 1 is great motor oil, but the 5w30 needs to be "Improved"on, if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts