SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
We can't answer that for you. In terms of power, YES it is worth it. The SR has so much more potential than the GA, naturally aspirated or turbo. But in terms of costs, if you have an old B13 GA it might be better to just buy a B13 SE-R instead. It all depends on your situation and what you want out of the car.

Downside, the SR gets worse gas mileage than the GA, but thats really it. It's probably one of the best Japanese 4-cylinders ever made, in terms of reliability and performance. Right up there with the B18 family from Honda.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
With all the bolt ons offered for the GA16, you would be where the SR20 starts. If you have a GA16DE car, and it runs good, then I wouldn't do a swap, just trade up. If the car barely runs, or doesn't, and the body is good, then do a swap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 96 B14 that I am only 4 months from paying off and it runs great. The body and engine are in fine condition and it hasn't given me any problems. I'd like it to be a bit faster but without getting loud. I tried that cheap trick where you turn over the airbox, but it was loud and I couldn't feel a difference in power. It "sounded" faster, but that was it. I'd like to do the basic bolt ons to get better performance from it, but I'm afraid that I'd spend about 500 or 600 dollars only to find out my car is 4 times louder, but not noticeably faster.

I wish I knew someone who had the same car that I have that's done the basic stuff so I could ride with them and hear what their car sounds like and feel how it performs :(

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
where you from?!!!
I always let people take my Smoothmobile for a spin. I dont care. I just know that they come back with a smile on their face.
Especially the Civic/Accord owners!!!
I dare them to blow it up!!! :D :cool: :D

·
Bad Banana
1,411 Posts
Like I've mentioned in a previous post, SR20DE's are one of the strongest, if not the stongest, 4 cylinder engines in the world. Name one engine that can handle 400hp on a stock bottom end!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Loe Lyf said:
Like I've mentioned in a previous post, SR20DE's are one of the strongest, if not the stongest, 4 cylinder engines in the world. Name one engine that can handle 400hp on a stock bottom end!
lt1
ferrari
lamborghini
viper
sr20
e16i (just kidding)

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I mean, is it really all that
One of the top 3 4-cylinder engines ever made, IMO. Sad to see the sun set on the SR20 in the US.

My favorite things about the SR20.
7500 rpm redline (sorry guys with B14s and 15s)
great torque curve
No dips in power anywhere
Bulletproof
Responds well to mods.

Name one engine that can handle 400hp on a stock bottom end!
Mitsubishi's 4G63. Yeah, it's on my top 3 list too.

·
8,148 Posts
MaddMatt said:

One of the top 3 4-cylinder engines ever made, IMO. Sad to see the sun set on the SR20 in the US.

My favorite things about the SR20.
7500 rpm redline (sorry guys with B14s and 15s)
great torque curve
No dips in power anywhere
Bulletproof
Responds well to mods.

Mitsubishi's 4G63. Yeah, it's on my top 3 list too.
Not really that bulletproof. Rodbearings are a problem. Why do you think there are so many JDM 10:1's around here, including myself. Other than that, Ga16 vs Sr20? Awww, come on man!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
well, i've owned both the GA and SR, lemme tell ya, the SR is a phenemonal engine. i dunno if you've checked out the sentra.net website, but you should give it a whirl. there are a lot of thing that can be done to make the GA16 be a faster car, you just have to have the $$. but the fact of the matter is if you want a STRONG engine you'll need the 2.0!

brian, you forgot Bugatti and Vector.;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm trying to get most performance and practicality with the least amount of money. An engine swap is gonna be around $3k so it really better be worth it. Especially since ther is nothing wrong with my car as it is now!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.