SR20 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the ECU's in our cars are of the learning type, but is this "normal"?

A couple of months back I added a K&N induction kit (like the POP charger) to my car, and I was pretty impressed at the performance increase. Sure I wasn't expecting a massive increase, but there was a noticeable power increase from about 3500rpm upwards. Sounded sweet too.

However, about three weeks ago I had to remove the battery from my car, which of course meant removing power to the ECU. After reconnecting the battery, the ECU reset to stock values and then "re-learns" the engine as you drive if I'm not mistaken.

Well, I'm not entirely sure what the ECU has learnt, but it appears to have wiped out the power increase from my K&N filter!
Well, at least the car certainly feels as if it is down on power to before. However, I've noticed that fuel economy has increased by around 2 mpg.

What leads me to my question - what has happened, and is this normal behaviour? I tried reset the ECU again this weekend in case it had somehow "mis-learned" the engine, but the pep appears to still be missing (although it probably hasn't finished re-learning the engine yet as I've only done about 100 miles or so).

Any ideas people?

------------------
1997 UK spec P11 Primera
http://www.primeraweb.co.uk

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you sure you haven't just grown accutomed to the increase you realized with the filter? I noticed the same thing with mine about a month after my CAI install. I think we just get too used to it, and take it for granted.

------------------
Wheel gap is the enemy. "Silver" 2001 SE w/perf.pkg, PR CAI, Intrax.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think so... although I guess it is feasable

The only other possibility I can think of is that the ECU has "smoothed out" the power hump that started around 3500-4000rpm where the filter seemed to kick in hardest, making it seem like the extra power has gone walkies...

------------------
1997 UK spec P11 Primera
http://www.primeraweb.co.uk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts