SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
That's what it looks like to me. I've pulled and cleaned mine on my '91 Classic, but it's been awhile. If you pulled this from underneath the car near the passenger side axle, then it is the AICV.

Don't forget to put a new gasket on it.

Peace,
Mark

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It actually was pulled from right underneath the intake plenum... I had to relocate it when I did my top feed injector install.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is the iacr(idle air control regulator),it may also be called an aicv.It bolts to the bottom of the plenum.The aacv(auxilliary air control valve),also called iac valve is on the passenger side of the intake in the same housing as the idle screw.

·
yup
1,208 Posts
whoa there charlie... you are right it is the air regulator which controls the fast idle of the car for the first minutes while it is warming up... but the ficv (fast idle control valve) is actually on the idle air assembly right next to the oil filter... they are two different parts

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
FICD... hexagonal cylinder that is attached perpendicular to the AAC, it is brass colored.

Later,
Mark

·
yup
1,208 Posts
ding ding ding... and for the record even though the jdm and usdm ficv's look very similar they are different parts and are not interchangable....

·
yup
1,208 Posts
just to avoid the signal to noise ratio when discussing the idle system here are the factory service manual definitions...

there are three idle air control valves (iacv)
1) the iacv-aac = auxilary air control (actively controls idle speed through on off operations
2) the iacv-ficv = fast idle control valve (adjusts idle under the heavy load of the ac and power steering)
3) the iacv-air regulator (creates the high idle for the car as the car is warming up)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
nj20de said:
ding ding ding... and for the record even though the jdm and usdm ficv's look very similar they are different parts and are not interchangable....

would keeping the jdm one make the car idle high? after my swap, it idles about 1100-1200 rpm. i adjust the idle, but it is almost bottomed out. i left the jdm one on my motor.

·
yup
1,208 Posts
did you remember to swap the jdm and the usdm idle air assembly (the part that the idle screw is part of)?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
nj20de said:
did you remember to swap the jdm and the usdm idle air assembly (the part that the idle screw is part of)?

nope, i still have the jdm one on. would that cure my problem, cause if i have the car in gear and let the clutch out to less thatn 1000 rpm, it will stay around 600-700 rpm. maybe its the throttle cable sticking :confused:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just did my JDM swap and it is surging like a bastard.......

·
Registered
470 Posts
after my swap i forgot to swap the air regulator and it would idle low at the start and then idle high after it warmed up. i swapped my b14 AR(which had a different part# on it)and it cured the problem!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
after driving it today, it seemed to cure it self. when i slow down and then stop, it will hang in the 1100 rpm range for a second or two, then drop down to around 700 rpm. so it seems its fine now :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts