SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a civic si, (which i killed
), and he has a chain holding down the front of the engine real tight. he says that when you hit the engine hard it lifts up and you lose power. he said when he chained his down it doesnt move up at all and now he has a lot more HP/torque! is this for real? or just full of ****?

------------------
92 nx2000 - im good enough, im smart enough, and dogonnit, poeple like me!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chaining is a racing trick to minimize engine movement, but with factory mounts your just transfering more of the kenetic energy of the moving engine onto the firewall mount. Better have good mounts if your going to do this. I have never tried chaining on my car. Try simply replacing the front control mount and firewall mount with Energy S. black graphite poly mounts. This kit works well for race/street life styles.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha...tell him it is tested to produce 25hp to the front wheel,and then take him out and smoke him again....MaD MoVEmEntS UndEr THe HooD YoooOooO!!!!!!LOL,BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

------------------
wheel gap is the enemy!!!15.4 ET,AEM +suspension,JRSC is already at the shop,waiting on my damn ACT clutch...

[This message has been edited by brett garon (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
That homeboy be smokin some ****. Hes going to end up wearin out that rear mount faster that way. He should just get some ES inserts and be done with it. Basically, by keeping the motor from moving, you get better throttle response, not more power. Why, cuz before, when you got on the gas, the motor shifted a bit until it couldn't anymore. Then all the power went to moving the car. If you keep the motor from moving in the first place, there's not that lag time that there was from the motor shifting.

Damn riceboys are always full of ****.... tell him to go get himself an edumacatin.

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Its an old school dragging trick. Big blocks used to use them all the time. i wouldnt say its bad, or good, but it works. All mounts do is keep the engine in place, why do people get SOLID mounts then? Hell weld a chain in its place if properly ancored why not?

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
That sounds legit to me. it might stress the mounts, but it'll reduce the torqueing of the engine when launched hard. Ive noticed Si drivers think they are pushin' goddam rocketships around. Its good that you tought your friend a lesson before he embarassed himself in front of more SR20's

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Actualy what used to happen with the chevys and such with the distribetor in the rear of the engine when it bucked up it would hit the firewall causeing it to miss. Or the old torque monsters called Hemi's used to break their mounts, the chain kept the engine from flying out. I wouldnt say its very useful on a daily driver or even my car, but hes just using some old school drag tricks. It seems bad but its not rice. Ah who knows.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just do the Energy S. ($30ish) You will be happy and you will avoid all the chassis abuse that chaining and welding produce. These tricks only make a big difference if you are running some juicy horses under your hood. One little thing about welding, the car will vibrate like pager on speed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey cossie, whats that mean?

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What, welding? Welding the mounts had to be done on a friends high HP 2nd gen RX-7 race car. stopped the broken engine mount problem.
Or ar you talking about the chassis abuse?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no im talking about the Energy S.

------------------

·
Registered
705 Posts
What kinda torwue s he putting out that he thinks he has to chain the engine, lol? I dont think the engine is gonna move much with that whopping 111 lb ft of torque!!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey "crazyNXracer", sorry about that... Energy Suspension black graphine Poly inserts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts