SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Big kid with gray hair
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I have an autox coming up on Sunday and decided to put Carbotech Bobcats on the rear calipers, combined with new rotors. Unfortunately, the pads, combined with the new rotors, are too fat for calipers. I squeezed the piston as far as I could, but I'm still coming up about an 1/8 in. short of getting them on. Any thoughts, tricks, ideas on how to get the caliper to slip on the pads? The piston is not flush with the caliper housing. I'm not sure if that's fully compressed or not. I know the front will compress flush with the housing. I even resorted to beating on it a bit and it feels like the piston is as far as it goes. Any advice or ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Earth to Hank. Rear calipers do not push in, they turn. Please tell me I'm reading you wrong. If not - :poke:

C

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
^^^ :rofl: ^^^ Chris you crack me up.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Ooops....It's been so long, I forgot how to do the rears. :redface:
Well I'm in such shock that I don't know what to say, so here's a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its' head.

·
No D E T.
1,436 Posts
Not bashing you or anything, but why did you spend so much on Bobcats for the rear? IMO the rear brakes do not do enough heavy braking to warrant high-heat pads. Bobcats on the front with Ad22's on the other hand, are a great combo (also great when you are trying to stay in a lower class).

Let us know how it goes.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Perhaps he's looking for a higher friction coefficent to add more brake bias in the rear. This would aid rotation in trail braking.

Bobcats are a street compound that should work fine without a warmup, iirc.

·
Big kid with gray hair
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Not bashing you or anything, but why did you spend so much on Bobcats for the rear? IMO the rear brakes do not do enough heavy braking to warrant high-heat pads. Bobcats on the front with Ad22's on the other hand, are a great combo (also great when you are trying to stay in a lower class).

Let us know how it goes.
I'm running XP9's on the front....bobcats are no where near enough pad for the front of this car. The last time I had it at the track I was seeing 140ish going into turn 1 at Summit Point. You have to haul it down to about 40-50 mph to make the turn. I tryed XP8's and I melted the backing plates. I figured the bobcats in the rear would take some heat off the fronts. If the bias goes too far rearward, oh well. It beats having no brakes. I agree , it's way overkill for the street or autox. Just playing around to see what happens. I purchased these a year or two ago and they've been sitting in a box every since.

·
Big kid with gray hair
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'm in such shock that I don't know what to say, so here's a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its' head.
What can I say...I'm just an amateur. :tongue: Don't you remember last year's convention? :laugh:

·
Big kid with gray hair
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

:D :rofl: :D :rofl: :teehee:
What until you're in your 40's, young man... :squint: :tongue: ....remembering my name is a struggle sometimes.

....damn, I do suck...but then again, they did make it on the car, thanks, in part, to the best damn car forum.....period....:biggthump

Thanks guys...:D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I will tell you how my setup does tomorrow at Jefferson Circuit. I can tell you that the XP8 is not enough pad for my heavy ass GTI, but it was much better than the stock brake pads. You could feel the fronts fade away coming into ten on the main circuit, then you would feel the bias shift rearward. It is a WEIRD feeling. The GTI was getting 130 at the end of the front straight, I can't wait to see what the Sentra will do!

·
No D E T.
1,436 Posts
I'm running XP9's on the front....bobcats are no where near enough pad for the front of this car. The last time I had it at the track I was seeing 140ish going into turn 1 at Summit Point. You have to haul it down to about 40-50 mph to make the turn.

That makes sense, for whatever reason I was thinking this was for Auto-X and not track use.

Let us know how it goes.

·
No longer a member
6,093 Posts
AD22VF front and stock SE-R rear brakes, I run Bobcat pads all around for the street, I wouldn't recommend anything else. When I hit up the track, I swap in Panther Plus pads, I might upgrade from that with the extra power I have at the wheels.

A lot of people are turned off that the bobcats cost $100/axle, but they're totally worth it, lasted me longer than any brakepad I've owned. Quiet, low dust, and they stop on a dime at road temperatures.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts