SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started Friday night but then I started feeling sick. I caught whatever my wife had earlier in the week. She was off her feet and home from work for 3 days. Luckily I tend to reciver quickly and I was well enough today to continue working. I snapped a couple pics of the progress. I hoe to have it running by next w/e. I'll update this thread as I go.]

Here is whats going in

Yes I know that my garage is incredibly sloppy :)

Kelly is a good helper. Her allergies were bothering her but she still gave me a hand out in the garage.

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts
Always nice to have a willing helper. ;)
So far, so good. Keep the pics coming. :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Awesome Matt. I never thought about using the hoist on the side of the car. I wish I was closer, so I could help you. I drove my car for the first time Since March 22, and I was all smiles wihen the cams crossed over. If you run into any problems, you know how to get in touch with me. I'll PM you my phone number.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Hmm, hoist on the side, very innovative.

C

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I just saw you are using the same hoist I did. :)

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Eric I got your PM and I appreciate the offer. The hoist is from Sam's Club and it works very well. The garage isn't deep enough to use it from the front of the car. I pioneered the "side saddle" technique when I swapped the KA on my S13 last summer :) It seems to be just as good as the traditional method.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
What's the $$$ on the hoist?

C

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it was like $150 or $200. Its been almost 4 years so its hard to remember exactly.

chriscar said:
What's the $$$ on the hoist?

C

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
it's one of those things you should buy it and forget how much you paid. It's good for many reasons. I have done a motor swap, and helped my bro do another....and his several thousand trannys

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bolts screwed into existing holes in the block. I use the power transistor mount hole and the alternator bracket upper hole. I always use those and heve never had a problem.

mr.sentra_specv said:
what were u using to atach the chain the the block. i am in need of some thing for my swap.
Rocco

·
Registered
71 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
Bolts screwed into existing holes in the block. I use the power transistor mount hole and the alternator bracket upper hole. I always use those and heve never had a problem.
Sorry about jacking the thread, but... I've taken a couple of engines out through the bottom now. I've used a jack with a block of wood under the upper oil pan (the aluminum piece), since the engine/tranny balances perfectly at that point. My question: Have I just been getting lucky, or can the upper pan take that kind of load safely?

·
Registered
71 Posts
neonphire8604 said:
how tough is it to install the motor with the tranny and driverside axle all at one time?
Piece of cake. And it's really nice to be able to drop it with that axle still in the tranny -- it's easier to get the axle out once everything's on the garage floor than from under the car.

·
Just LTrain Again..
1,147 Posts
Lookin good Matt! Good luck!

-Linus

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually I'm not going to touch that axle at all its staying in the tranny. I had a "Greg Perry" time getting that stupid thing past the 2nd indent last time I had it out. I never had a problem with the ds axle on my se-r so I don't know what the deal is.

Thanks Linus! Do you happen to remember what you used from HD to splice the rad hoses? The only thing I can find so far is copper plumbing reducers but they are either a little too small or a little too large.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I had a huge problem removing the driver's side axle out also. Mine had never been out of the car before either. I had to use a pry bar and a hammer to remove mine, once I had it out of the car.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts