SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to do a little test and tune on the dyno. His setup is the real time ecu, 20V header with 3" from the collector to a 3" cat to 3" Vrghey exhaust and Sr20turbofreaks valve springs(Installed them saturday it really was cake!). Stock Ve injectors, 300zx maf and he had the fuel psi at 4bar and a Cold air intake.

I wondered why he creamed me when we had a little race :(

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have you dyno'd your car yet for comparison purposes? Looks to be making peak HP at about 7,200rpm... Nice daily driver?

How loud is the exhaust on that puppy, there's a lot of 3" systems here and nobody seems to be complaining that they can't hear their stereo. Did you do the valve springs with the head on or off?

So many questions...

Thanks for sharing the sheet with us :)

·
Ser Charles
1,948 Posts
The Head was on when GREG V was installing it. LOL

I think the only issue they had was the cam gears being off a couple of teeth.

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is making more TQ than me and he is reving higher than me. His Rev limit is set at 8100, His peak power is around 7300-7400ish. My rev limiter is around 7500 :(. The head was on the car, Greg will be posting a how too when he gets the chance. I did screw up on the cam timing tho :( been a 6 months since I took the cams out. I plan to get my revange by getting valve springs too and cam gears. If I can swing it I'll get a good header too.

·
Ser Charles
1,948 Posts
It was Andy's statement that it was cake to put on, when in reality you were the one installing it.

·
Ser Charles
1,948 Posts
oh i do the same thing...i was only giving the props to Greg. In all reality..i wouldn't put them on myself. i didnt even like switching my ECU LOL

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

is that with stock sr20ve cams? Usually they peak about 6800-7000rpm. I wonder if thats holding out because of no valve float or because of the 20v header.

I'm not sure I'm lost too, maybe both lol.

·
Ser Charles
1,948 Posts
It has stock cams i believe..they only installed the springs so he could rev higher.
According to Andy, who has sr16 cams, ported head and SSAC header with 2.5" exhuast that what gives Ivan's car the power is the 20V headers who still pulls on him.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've found that with the VEs, there seems to be some that make an awesome amount of power factory & others that just aren't quite the same even when they've both got the same specs, milage etc. If you're lucky you can get a good one & have it go like hell with a minimal amount of work.

If & when I change the springs on my engine I think I'll do it with the head off so that I can check the valves at the same time. It's spent its life getting revved to over 9,000 rpm on standard springs so worth checking.. and posting here too for interests sake.

Cheers for the valve spring write up too guys, it isn't easy trying to do this stuff & take photos the whole way through so well done on a really useful thread.

·
Registered
606 Posts
your header is the prob, Do you have a 3inch right off the header? if you do , we have tested this before and you lose alot of hp. Best result was using a 2.25 or 2.5 secondary, and from the middle of the car more or less 3inch.

We tried soem Stillen Headers at first without modifying and car made 199whp He added 3inch right of the back from the secondary and car made about 179-180whp

Just some ideas....

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well on my car I have that SSauto I bought off 5speed. The Primary looks bigger than my stock ve one, But the secondaries was about the same size as the stock VE. I didn't jump a hole lot of power going from the stock VE header to the SSauto 2.25. On Ivans car is the 20V header and at the collector to goes to a 3" pipe back to the 3" cat to 3" exhaust.

·
9k rpm crew
348 Posts
This is Ivan. Thanks Guys I'm glad you guys like they results. All tuning was done by Andy (Yellow4g63) So he is the one responsible for the good numbers. And no Andy, I will not get cams!....I think.

Have you dyno'd your car yet for comparison purposes? Looks to be making peak HP at about 7,200rpm... Nice daily driver?

How loud is the exhaust on that puppy, there's a lot of 3" systems here and nobody seems to be complaining that they can't hear their stereo. Did you do the valve springs with the head on or off?

So many questions...

Thanks for sharing the sheet with us :)
Actually I think peak was closer to 7300-74000 rpm when we looked at the computer at the Dyno. It is loud inside the car, but i think is mostly because a leak I have yet to find. No so bad from outside (girlfriend’s opinion) Valve spring swap with head on.

I wasn't there during valve spring swap. I had a wedding to go to. :squint

http://www.sr20forum.com/neovvl-guides/198478-how-install-valve-springs-retainers.html

is that with stock sr20ve cams? Usually they peak about 6800-7000rpm. I wonder if thats holding out because of no valve float or because of the 20v header.
I think is combination of both, but the power is there because of the headers. IMO

It has stock cams i believe..they only installed the springs so he could rev higher.
According to Andy, who has sr16 cams, ported head and SSAC header with 2.5" exhuast that what gives Ivan's car the power is the 20V headers who still pulls on him.
Stock cams yes.

·
9k rpm crew
348 Posts
your header is the prob, Do you have a 3inch right off the header? if you do , we have tested this before and you lose alot of hp. Best result was using a 2.25 or 2.5 secondary, and from the middle of the car more or less 3inch.

We tried soem Stillen Headers at first without modifying and car made 199whp He added 3inch right of the back from the secondary and car made about 179-180whp

Just some ideas....
What was was the timing on the 199whp setup? Was it stock timing map advanced at the distributor or ECU timing advance?

·
Registered
606 Posts
What was was the timing on the 199whp setup? Was it stock timing map advanced at the distributor or ECU timing advance?
Chipped ECU with max 28degrees, just so you know, stock DE computer has max timing of 26degrees after 6800 and about 15-17 degrees on the Distributor. The chipped ecu we used only made power after 6400 RPMS, the DE computer was better on the low end. Trust me, if you have a 3inch secondary, that is your prob, change it, most headers usereally small piping on the secondarys. :biggthump It was dyno tested!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts