SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is very crucial and very simple. Here goes: Make sure you have a 1 1/16" open end wrench! Your 1" wrench may be worthless.

The problem is that the B14 cams require a 1" open end wrench on the cam hex to loosen the cam while the B13 cams may or may not require the 1 1/16".

I was installing a 91 cam in my 98 SE this afternoon and was 90 percent finished only to find out that my 1" wrench that fit *perfectly* on the 98 cam hex was too small to fit on the 91. So basically, with my car in pieces, I was screwed and had to find a way to Sears Hardware.

I posted this to prevent further headaches for you all and to beef up the search results with this information because it's quite important and probably overlooked. Doing a search in several of our forums here I only returned a couple results discussing this problem, and that's understandable, you would never expect to need a different size wrench for the same procedure.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Helpfull Information for b14 people!

-Josh

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Maybe keep and adjustable wrench around instead of buying a 1 1/16

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I've had a car with stock cams need a 1" wrench, and a 1 1/16" wrench. I put cam gears on a Evo 8 this weekend, and the hex part on the cam is inbetween two lobes, not in the tight space we have. It was much easier.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
I used an adjustable wrench that was brand new, never been used. I got it to work once, after that, it would loosen up and slip. I think all the cams are 1", and what storm88000 ran into was a casting seam on the cam. When I put the S4's in Justme's B14 we ran into this. One of the S4's had a casting seam that was preventing the wrench from fitting. So I put a rag under the cam (to catch the shavings) and used a small file to grind the seam down so the wrench would fit. Something I've run into with cams before, is that not all open end wrenches will fit because the head is too wide. I know that Craftsman wrench heads are narrow enough. I had an Am Pro wrench from Advance Auto that my dad bought and brought over to me and I had to use a right angle grinder to grind about 1/8" off the side of the wrench head to get it to fit.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Toolapcfan said:
I used an adjustable wrench that was brand new, never been used. I got it to work once, after that, it would loosen up and slip. I think all the cams are 1", and what storm88000 ran into was a casting seam on the cam. When I put the S4's in Justme's B14 we ran into this. One of the S4's had a casting seam that was preventing the wrench from fitting. So I put a rag under the cam (to catch the shavings) and used a small file to grind the seam down so the wrench would fit. Something I've run into with cams before, is that not all open end wrenches will fit because the head is too wide. I know that Craftsman wrench heads are narrow enough. I had an Am Pro wrench from Advance Auto that my dad bought and brought over to me and I had to use a right angle grinder to grind about 1/8" off the side of the wrench head to get it to fit.

Thats odd but insightful. You're right about the Craftsman, I have the 1" Craftsman and the head is *just* narrow enough to fit between the lobes on the cam.

I've never seen any series JWT cam where the 1" was too small though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts