SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SE-R Nut-in-Training
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I hope someone's got answers. I'm sending off a spare head to DPR for Stage VI treatment, and ordering a set of JUN 272 11.5 lift cams for my 97 SE-R. The problem is that when I called JWT, Iwas told that they don't have a program for the JUN's, and since it's their busy season, no time to develop one. The guy said I could try the C Series program, but no guarantee that it would idle right, or even keep me out of detonation. I asked about running an Apex'i S-AFC to smooth out the rough spots, and was told it's not recommended to run those on Nissans at all. The JUN ECU is $1300. Any suggestions, advice, input, or smart-ass comments?

·
VE powered
556 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kafn8ed:
And I hope someone's got answers. I'm sending off a spare head to DPR for Stage VI treatment,... </font>
I'd be a little leary of the DPR Stage IV head. You might want to get Rob Cadle's and/or George Roffe's opinion. I believe George recently had his head redone by JWT.

Anyhow, I have a DPR Stage VI head with 11:1 compression, S3 cams (with JWT ECU S3 program), CAI, JWT G3 header, pullies (all four) and HKS exhaust and I'm only putting down 150hp/138lb-ft. The car has been tuned (timing only) on a dyno a couple of times. As far as I can tell the cam timing is correct (links line-up at 10 and 12 o'clock, 20 pins between them, etc). Basically the DPR head and compression is worth about 5hp on my car.

If I were you I'd see what JWT could do for your head. And while you're at it ask them about the stroker kit. I hope to go with a JWT head/stroker kit in about a year's time.

Steve

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I would say run it on the stock ECU program if you had the 7500 rev limiter. With the B14 and the 7100 limit though... 7100 sucked with S3s. You are getting bigger cams so it will probably suck even more.

Do you have any friends with the 95-97 ECU? If you could find JWT ECUs with and without the S3 program you could run each on the dyno and try different timing settings to see what might work best for you.

I don't know anything about the C-series programming or the S-AFC.

·
SE-R Nut-in-Training
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to do the JUN's for something different. Also, the JUN cams & springs are like $950ish, where the JWT C series are $1500ish. I'm not sure if the JWT includes ECU, but if so puts the 2 options about even. If the info I got is accurate, and I believe it is, the 272 JUN's are between C1 and C2 JWT's. That should leave it streetable, but still fun whenever I get time to go to the track. Or dragstrip.
Since I have the B14, I need an ECU of some sort just to rev. I'm still in the process of getting everything together, so I have some time to figure this out.

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Mike K tested the C-series cams on his killer motor complete with the DPR VI head. He didn't have the gains like Rob's car did, but he did get some more area under the power curve.

You might want to ask him opinion on using the JUN cams. We all know JUN's stuff is good (and expensive!), but your going into unchartered territory with this one. Welcome to innovation!

Good luck!

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
a slow [email protected] on JWT 50 shot
Bay Area, CA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts