SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well looks like a missed shift did a little damage to a rod bearing, sooooo I'm looking for a j-spec DE engine. Any ideas on where to find one around Ohio fairly cheap? Are there any problems with compatibility with the stock ECU and wiring harness? Also, what are the main differences between US spec and Japan spec. I really don't want to spend more than $500-$600 on this f%$# up!

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is a place in Cali that sells JDM engines, they have thee SR20DE for $500, plus shipping, which was $175 to a business, and $250 to a residence, that comes with a warrantee and everything. My friend got a Honda engine from them a few months ago, I think that would be the cheapest way to go. Oh yea, it is called Nippon Motors, they have a web site, not sure what the url is though.

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by N2O-fed-B13:
Well looks like a missed shift did a little damage to a rod bearing, sooooo I'm looking for a j-spec DE engine. Any ideas on where to find one around Ohio fairly cheap? Are there any problems with compatibility with the stock ECU and wiring harness? Also, what are the main differences between US spec and Japan spec. I really don't want to spend more than $500-$600 on this f%$# up!</font>

goto http://www.se-r.net/mall/vendors.html
skn, soko, soken, k watanabe, TONS of places to get motors. I had a VERY clean JDm sr20de sent to Vancouver, WA by K Watanabe for 385 shipped.
Good luck

------------------
David Lau <[email protected]>
Stop Fast, corner better B13 SER in Vancouver, WA

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I am ordering one tommarow. I am also taking the opportunity to replace clutch, cv joints, ball joints, control arm bushings, and a new header. My classic should be real fun now!

·
Registered
404 Posts
J-spec motor has 10:1 cmp, stainless exhaust manifold, intake manifold is a bit different too, but you can probably swap those parts off your old sr20. As far as the ECU..your stock one will work no problem-same with the harness you might have to play with the alternator part a bit to make it reach, but that is about it..Go for the Primera motor it is well worth it. You can get the motor for around $300 bucks/ from K.Watanbe in SoCal...don't know how much it is to ship.
Good luck..
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by N2O-fed-B13:
Well looks like a missed shift did a little damage to a rod bearing, sooooo I'm looking for a j-spec DE engine. Any ideas on where to find one around Ohio fairly cheap? Are there any problems with compatibility with the stock ECU and wiring harness? Also, what are the main differences between US spec and Japan spec. I really don't want to spend more than $500-$600 on this f%$# up!</font>

------------------
92'xe/w-primera swap
working on built motor for some NOZ

·
Registered
513 Posts
Keep us updated on costs, etc. I'd consider the swap next sping. "Graduation Present" to myself. I'd really like to know how this affects emissions and the pocket.

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Registered
487 Posts
So the JDM SR20DE has 150hp. I assume that comes from the higher compression and the better exhaust manifold. But seeing as most people would change the headers anyways, wouldn't that mean that most of the hp gain would only be coming from the high compression? Then there would actually be less than a 10hp gain compared to a USDM SR20DE with the same headers...is this making any sense at all? Just seems like it may not be worth it to get a JDM SR20...

------------------

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey bro...im running the stock Primera manifold but i had a custom down pipe made, because the Primera manifold hangs a little lower than the us-spec manifold so it will bottom out. I was going for the sleeper look, plus i got to keep most of the motor looking near stock. I have no emissions on my car and in SoCal so smog checks are a bitch but I have some contacts to **help out**. My suggestion is to go for the swap. Just for the record here in SoCal we just had our Dyno-Day, a us-spec sr20 with just about all the bolt-ons put down 144.8 at the wheels and a Primera powerd classic put down 144.7 with an underhood intake and exhaust So you do the math
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son Of Skyline:
So the JDM SR20DE has 150hp. I assume that comes from the higher compression and the better exhaust manifold. But seeing as most people would change the headers anyways, wouldn't that mean that most of the hp gain would only be coming from the high compression? ...

</font>

------------------
92'xe/w-primera swap
working on built motor for some NOZ

·
Registered
487 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by enjoyDride:
in SoCal we just had our Dyno-Day, a us-spec sr20 with just about all the bolt-ons put down 144.8 at the wheels and a Primera powerd classic put down 144.7 with an underhood intake and exhaust So you do the math

</font>
That works for me!

------------------

·
Registered
441 Posts
Considering the 10:1 compression..is it a good idea to feed it a healthy dosage of nitrous? JWT's 100 shot?

Also, are the lifters from a Primera sr20 hydraulic or mechanical? Would the S-series cams from Jim Wolf work with this motor?

------------------
Chris Alfonso
AIM: RaySERinSD
1992 Honda Civic HB DX
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R (RIP)

·
Registered
487 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by enjoyDride:
...here in SoCal we just had our Dyno-Day, a us-spec sr20 with just about all the bolt-ons put down 144.8 at the wheels and a Primera powerd classic put down 144.7 with an underhood intake and exhaust So you do the math

</font>
I was just reading up in the se-r list archives and it was stated that the JDM SR20 is rated at 150PS...not 150HP. So that equaled 146-147hp. Thats not much at all.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts