SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard you mention it in email once or twice and was waiting for you to post on here about it. I guess I missed the 2 sentence description on the other thread. Tell us more about it!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
OK, take the car I had and add a pinstripe the same color as the wheels. Put 20000mi on it by a guy with sweaty hands, which darkened and compressed the leather on the steering wheel. My steering wheel was beautiful after 47000+ miles. Add some scratches from going through an auto-car-washer-thing. Take off all the performance parts and bushings, loosen the throttle cable, put some dried wax on a few parts which shouldn't get waxed, aim the headlights and foglights incorrectly, put some air in the coolant system (how the hell did that happen, why would someone do a coolant flush with less than 20000mi?, but I took care of it), add some noise to the sliding of the sunroof, loosen the glove box, put the stock speakers back in, remove the window tint, un-adjust the throttle position senor voltage, bump the left rear bumper with something, umm... there's probably some more small things that I adjusted on my car to make it 'better' for me that I have to do all over again. Other than that, its exactly the same as the old on. The paint seems slightly less deep and rich, but I waxed it today and that made it closer to how mine looked. It needs another coat.
They say some people are irritable after a concussion, but I think its cause they deal with morons who dont know how to value a car
that does more than get groceries. So if I seem even more bitchy now than I did when talking about place racings' customer service...

There was a sliver 5 speed in NC also that had absolutely FLAWLESS paint on it. It was probably a better car (by that I mean I have more faith in whoever owned it didn't hurt it) but it wasn't blue.

Power seems decent at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, but then I floor it and its just not there. And I'm driving on the highway and look, I'm doing 80 when I dont want to be. The ES motor mounts started speaking to me about 75 which helped me keep my speed down. I cant even tell the cars on at idle now without the motor mounts and cams.

I adjusted the timing to 16 before I even left the dealership. I bought a mobil1 filter and installed it before I left the city, THEN i drove home.

First mod will be new motor mounts (I've got to break in another set, that sucks) and reinstall the short shifter and install the ES shifter bushing, which I had but never installed in the old car. I'd like to add the header from there, but the secondary is damaged and I am still arguing with the insurance company about valuing the car and mods, so I dont have enough money to order a new secondary.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good things about the new 99SE:

1. It's not a Honda

2. It's BLUE!
3. It's got an SR20DE!

Otherwise I understand the other stuff. If it makes you feel any better:

1. My hood and bumper clearcoat has many holes, looks really bad
2. rear bumper is scratched and out of alignment
3. rear trim on rear driver window is loose and doesn't want to stay
4. driver's visor has no tension- had to yank it off the peg in order to see and put it back on when the sun is in my face
5. Damned slow oil leak
6. The thing was dying when I was launching on Wednesday, embarrassing myself and Sentras everywhere
7. scratched rim from hitting a curb in the snow last winter
8. crappy 98 styling
(for Jacen)

Make you feel any better? Maybe?

She'll open up once you get yer foot in her a bit more and the ECU learns how you drive a bit more. I'm sure the mods willl help too

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Yea, I'm sure it'll improve once get some mobil1 oil in there and spend some time at higher revs. Who knows what the hell is in there now.

But I'm uncomfortable driving too hard because of the stock motor mounts. You'll understand once you spend a year with the ES mounts and then test drive a couple with the stock mounts. I feel like I'm going to hurt something if I launch or shift too hard. I ordered a new set already, they should be in next week. Then I'll start playing with the car.

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Jacen you wanna go with me to Boston still? I'm leaving on thursday. And I'll be comin thru columbus around 3:00-4:00 pm.

Nick

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
And the extra sound deadening I installed in the doors and trunk was effective. I was driving in the rain this morning and I miss it. Yet another thing that I'll have to do over and will come out of my pocket because "it doesn't add any resale value to the car". What a load of crap. I should become a politician just to screw the insurance companies. They are happy to take your money, but when you try to get them to pay for what they are supposed to...

I should get $1 billion (slight exaggeration) for pain and suffering for having to deal with state farm.

G

·
0 Posts
Jacen - Glad you are Ok after the wreck. The new car will give you someting to keep you busy so you don't think about the Insurance Co.
Got a ? for you. You mentioned a short shifter in your other car and a bushing. I have a bad vibration-rattle when I'm in 5th. If I move/hold the shifter it stops but it's not to easy to drive that way.
Anyone have a similar problem that you know of?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
do you have the stillen shifter? they are known to rattle. it is either that or your actual knob rattling (like mine)

G

·
0 Posts
Jacen, where do you get those ES motor mounts? Do they make them for the 2000+ Sentras? It's really soggy when I shift. Is this due to the stock mounts?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could also do the homemade motor mounts like I did. $18.18 for this polyuretrane goo you pour into your motor mounts and let cure overnight. Whalla! Very similar and EASIER than having to pretty the ES ones in. And it will work on any car. Detail of how to do it here:

http://www.nx2k.com/nx2000/hd_mounts.htm

and pics of mine:

You can go to www.mcmaster-carr.com and type in part number 8644K18 and order!
Stuff from them gets to my place the NEXT DAY shipping via UPS ground. If you plan to do it make sure your duct tape is on REALLY GOOD because my first set leaked thru a bit, so I had to order another shipment of the urethane. Did all 4 mounts too. A lot cheaper than $70 for all for ES inserts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts