SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems that the acceptable point to jack up the front end of the car is around the front dog bone mount? Then jack stands go under the lower control arms. Sound about right?

Blake
91nx2k

·
Banned
656 Posts
put the jack stands under the inner rails just behind the wheel well. if you put them under the control arms, the suspension will be compressed.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I jack the car using the crossmember where it gets flat. There is a section where a little lip ends to give you a reference point. Sometimes I have to do it in 2 stages on the NX since my car is fairly low.

I place the jackstands either under the brackets where the control arms bolt to or the place on the rocker panel where the factory jack point is. I use folded cardboard to avoid crushing the lip.

On the rear jack it in the middle using the "hump/knob." I place the jackstands either where the rear lateral arms bolt to or the factory rear jack points. I use folded cardboard to avoid crushing the lip.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I hate it when shops lift the car using pads directly on the pinchrails. They are not designed to hold the weight of the car, that is why auto manufacturers sell a bracket that is designed to clear the pinchrail and contact the hardpoint on either side of the rail. Just like the jack that comes with your car. After a while the pinchrail gets bent and starts to rust just because some 2-bit shop wanted to save money by not buying the adapters. They could at least mention that you need them and sell them to you.

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
I jack the car using the crossmember where it gets flat. There is a section where a little lip ends to give you a reference point. Sometimes I have to do it in 2 stages on the NX since my car is fairly low.

I place the jackstands either under the brackets where the control arms bolt to or the place on the rocker panel where the factory jack point is. I use folded cardboard to avoid crushing the lip.

On the rear jack it in the middle using the "hump/knob." I place the jackstands either where the rear lateral arms bolt to or the factory rear jack points. I use folded cardboard to avoid crushing the lip.
Thats what I do. Crossmember. I have to use a scissor jack on the side cause the car is too low, then the crossmember, then put the jackstands. I use the rear beam for the back. I put bricks under the tires when i lower it, and just drive off them, so I can take the jack out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
yea... i learned that the hard way when i put my springs on i tried jacking it up from the " suport beam that runs front to back .......... yea dont do that

and when i tried to jack up the back to do the springs, the smart guy that i am i jacked it up from the rear one piece solid axle but fomr some reason when i removed the suspention i wouldnt come out ......... hmmmm luckly me fealing like a dumb ass wasnt enough my room mate happens to come out the house and start watching me and yes he laughed ......durrrrrrr ....

but i got it

BING!!!!! BING!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is there anything wrong with putting the stands under the thicker rails about 7 or 8 inches in from the pinch rail? That area is starting to get all bent in so I'm prolly gonna get those adapters so I can use the pinch rail...haha even then it seems like it would be hard to lower the car on the exact right part of the adapter....

·
Registered
349 Posts
thats what i was talkin about mine are all bent up too.........before i even bought the car but i wouldnt recomend as you see STORM ended up using a hammer to fix his problem .......... pinch welds will bedn too if your using a sissors jack

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
I never jack the car up at that factory points, like mentioned that metal is weak and starts to fold. Up front, I put jackstands where the control arm rear pivot is, on those metal plates that hold the rear bushings in. You can do just about anything with them there, lots of clearance. In the rear I put the jackstands just in front of where the trailing arm mounts to the car. I can put the car on four jackstands and it's very stable, although I don't recomend doing that unless you absolutely have to. You also get similar travel out of your jacks at those positions.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
I just place the jack under the flat part of the crossmember too. After I get it jacked up enough, I place jackstands under the 'rails' underneath the sideskirts. They work perfect. On the rear I've always used the little hump to jack the car up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When i jack my car up i like to put the stands under the sway bar mounting bushings.
The stands fit perfectly in there and it is typically enough space to do anything i want to do. Never had a problem with it yet.

Robs (toolapcfan) idea is good too though in my opinion.

Also i have a couple of peices of 2x12 that i use to drive the car up on to get the jack under it before i jack it up. works great and i got them off a construction site cause they were scraps. (I asked they gave)

Rick

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I've got some really dumb confusion about this. I always thought the crossmember was the bar that goes from the front of the car to the firewall. Is that true or is it the front of the chassis that runs between passenger and drivers sides?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts