SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont see any hard metal underneath the doors. I tried putting a stand on the lip where the original carjack goes but it starts to bend when I lower it. My last alternative is under the A-arm ( ? ), where the suspension is. But then I have to jack the car sky high? So where do you guys put these stands? Im going to go ape crazy on those catalytic converter screws!!!!!
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94_REDSE-R:
I dont see any hard metal underneath the doors. I tried putting a stand on the lip where the original carjack goes but it starts to bend when I lower it. My last alternative is under the A-arm ( ? ), where the suspension is. But then I have to jack the car sky high? So where do you guys put these stands? Im going to go ape crazy on those catalytic converter screws!!!!!
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
</font>

Get ramps with extensions. The extensions make it easier for lowered cars to go up the ramps. Jacks are dangerous to work under. Besides you will appreciate ramps once you have them.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that was my other alternative.
Pep Boys has them for $24.99.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I put the front jack stands underneath the sway bar bushings. The stand fits perfectly under there. For the back.. I dont know.

------------------

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
I put the front jack stands underneath the sway bar bushings. The stand fits perfectly under there. For the back.. I dont know.

</font>
i put mine in the same spot for the front. i just place the jack stand under the rear beam. i don't think it hurts anything.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put the stands at the jack points in front right down by the rocker panel. If you car is badly rusty that could be bad news. Floor jack in the front under that big beam.

What about the back??? I have seen pics of guys jacking by the rear stabilizer bar. Is that safe??????

·
Registered
201 Posts
There is a front and rear jack point on the cars. On the front, slide the jack under the front crossmember as far as you can and jack the car up from there. On the rear, there is a reinforced circular piece of metal sticking down from the rear. It's in the rear/center of the car. I believe it is in the area of where the spare tire resides. Jack the rear up from there.

For supporting the car with jack stands, use the 4 factory jack points on the frame. It IS bad to just put the jack under there with no protection, although, I have done it many times. If you can find some *strong* wood, cut a notch in it to fit over the jack points and put it between the car and the jack stands. This will keep you from damaging the metal on the car.

Or, you could just go ahead and install a lift in your garage....

Ben
'93 NX2K

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks NXBen, Sounds like you actually know what you are talking about!.. I know a guy who has a freaking grease pit in his garage. I have heard the pits are against fire codes in most towns.

·
Registered
201 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94_REDSE-R:
Those 4 jack points dont do me any justice with my 4 ton jack. The regular jack works fine there , though.
</font>
What do you mean by that?

Another trick I've used is to put a hard piece of wood on the jack to protect the metal of the car from the metal on the jack. I used that when jacking the engine into position and I've used it (along with some protective towels) when I needed to jack the suspension into position.

Ben
'93 NX

[This message has been edited by NXBen (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those 4 jack points dont do me any justice with my 4 ton jack. The regular jack works fine there , though.
Great info gentlemen. THANKS!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts