SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a Jap spec Sentra SE-R(Vin number located on drivers side at front of dash starts with a "J")? I am just curious.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Never made....according to the FSM it says they were made in Zama, but they werent. The NXen were. Maybe thats sorta what they ment. But so far as we can tell, NO ONE has turned up with one.

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
Never made....according to the FSM it says they were made in Zama, but they werent. The NXen were. Maybe thats sorta what they ment. But so far as we can tell, NO ONE has turned up with one.</font>
That makes me mad...because I've seen soo many 4-door Sentra's that were made in Japan...seems like they would have made them here...

has anyone had problems with their power steering units? Mine, every time you start it up, its almost like for the first 10 seconds...its kinda hard to steer..

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Yeah... i did have a little prob with PS during the first 10 seconds of startup and i always thought it was because i had put pressure on the wheel before i started the engine... maybe this is not the case

·
RE-F/ING-TIRED:)
1,318 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SENTRASER:
[B
has anyone had problems with their power steering units? Mine, every time you start it up, its almost like for the first 10 seconds...its kinda hard to steer..

[/B]</font>
when was the last time you bled all the old fluid out and added fresh fluid? also make sure you have no air(bubbles)in the system. barring that, how about the belt? is it tight?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
There is no such thing as a Japan made SE-R. All of them were made in Smynra, TN. All of the NXs were made in Japan. Some of the 4 door cars, and maybe 2 door cars also, were made in Japan. The way to tell is "J" is the first digit in the VIN, and the VIN plaque is not inside the door, but its on the middle of the firewall.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I have not vin plate on the firewall. Its on the driver side dash. As for ps, id check make sure you have enough fluid. then make sure there are no leaks

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teal97:
Originally posted by SENTRASER:
[B
when was the last time you bled all the old fluid out and added fresh fluid? also make sure you have no air(bubbles)in the system. barring that, how about the belt? is it tight? [/B]
Well, I had the return hose off when I was changing the belts, how do you bleed the power steering? It is also possible that the belt is loose because when I turn the steering wheel all the way in on direction it makes a squeeling noise...I'll check the tension on the belt..

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
There is no such thing as a Japan made SE-R. All of them were made in Smynra, TN. All of the NXs were made in Japan. Some of the 4 door cars, and maybe 2 door cars also, were made in Japan. The way to tell is "J" is the first digit in the VIN, and the VIN plaque is not inside the door, but its on the middle of the firewall.

</font>

Yes, my father has several Sentra 4-door sedans that are "J" spec...everything just seems to fit better, the doors have strikers that have rubber on them so they shut better, I switched this out onto my car. I belive the steering racks to also be better quality because they are produced in Japan. The engine cooling fans are also of higher quality. I do not know of anything elce that is better on the "J" spec car at this time, any one elce know of anything before I junk the parts cars(wrecked)?

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:

</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All of the NXs were made in Japan</font>
That's probally why they rust quicker than SE-R's. A known fact not just shooting off the top of the head.

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:
That's probally why they rust quicker than SE-R's. A known fact not just shooting off the top of the head.

</font>
No, that accually depends on the area of which the car is located...not so much on where it was made... I would rather have a JAP spec car than a US built one, but I already have an SE-R so I can't complain, by the way, my SE-R is rusting in more places than I thought could, good thing I have a facility tear it down and fix the rust...

[This message has been edited by SENTRASER (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teal97:
Originally posted by SENTRASER:
[B
when was the last time you bled all the old fluid out and added fresh fluid? also make sure you have no air(bubbles)in the system. barring that, how about the belt? is it tight? [/B]
Do you know how to bleed the power steering system?
Let me know!!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
First thing please dont use Jap...I just notices that. It is a derogatory term. Say JDM, J-Spec, Zama built, something. Its an old rasist term that has sorta made it into normal language.

I still dont know why you think Zama cars are built better. Cause my classic is really tight. Only thing really is wear and tear stuff, like the door hinges. ALL 2 door sentra's can have this problem cause of the weight of the door. Saying one plant is better is questionable.... As for your fathers cars...they are 4 doors, they are ment to be a bit more luxurious. SE-R's are strippers more or less. They pulled everything out they could for weight savings and useablity. So comparing the two is really hard.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
i have a J in my ID tag on my NX, and i have a bigger, better radiator than a classic i've been told

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have Cruise in my 92! </font>
Same here.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
Same here.

</font>
They only didn't put cruise control on the 91's...

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First thing please dont use Jap...I just notices that. It is a derogatory term. Say JDM, J-Spec, Zama built, something. Its an old rasist term that has sorta made it into normal language.

I still dont know why you think Zama cars are built better. Cause my classic is really tight. Only thing really is wear and tear stuff, like the door hinges. ALL 2 door sentra's can have this problem cause of the weight of the door. Saying one plant is better is questionable.... As for your fathers cars...they are 4 doors, they are ment to be a bit more luxurious. SE-R's are strippers more or less. They pulled everything out they could for weight savings and useablity. So comparing the two is really hard.
</font>
I belive all the two door cars are the same, I have also noticed that Nissan's ability to use one particular piece(ie trunk latch/lock, door latch/lock) is very consistat in all their cars, and to think that they would skimp out on anything(weight savings) kinda brings up some questions...like what do they take out for "weight savings and useability"? Just curious, becuase I have noticed nothing, power windows/locks wern't standard on the 4-door versions, only on the GXE's...Although, I don't see why they didn't put power locks/windows in the Classic...I suppose since they would have to make a completly new wiring harness for it...I don't know...what my car seems to lack is a good rust proofing, I want to take the engine out and fix all the rust I can, although it seems to me that it might be a lot of work. I do have a facility to do that in, but not a place to store it while this is being done...time for me to stop bableing...I haven't seen any Japanese spec cars rust, but I have seen many SE-R's rust, so I am just going off my observations...although a lot of it depends on the region...

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well like they deleted the arm rests in the back seat. The power windows and locks were deleted for weight savings. I dont have a problem with rust at all on my car. Paint falling off the bumper is another story, but thats from someone repairing it. Cruise wasnt avalible the first 2 years. Stuff like that in the first was what really defined it as more of a racer than a cruiser

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well like they deleted the arm rests in the back seat. The power windows and locks were deleted for weight savings. I dont have a problem with rust at all on my car. Paint falling off the bumper is another story, but thats from someone repairing it. Cruise wasnt avalible the first 2 years. Stuff like that in the first was what really defined it as more of a racer than a cruiser</font>
I have Cruise in my 92!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts