SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a Japanese spec motor. I've read they put out 150hp. Does anyone know where the extra 10hp comes from? Is it from the engine (cams, injectors,compression ratio), or a difference in the ECU programming.

Has anyone else put one of these in? Any problems/surprises? What about replacement parts?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, the c/r is 10:1 and a better flowing intake and exhaust manifold I believe, but 10 hp for 1/2 point of compression sounds about right too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the Japanese motors make something like 147-148hp; the 150 number comes from the _metric_ horsepower ("ps") of the engine, which is 150ps. Most people don't even know that hp and ps are different,and the numbers are close enough that even people who know don't usually bother converting.
I didn't know until someone on the mailing list said they heard they were different, prompting me to scour the net for info.

Oh, and the difference in hp is undoubtedly the compression ratio and different exhaust manifold. I seem to recall hearing that the Primera had a different cam grind than the North American one, but I have no hard evidence on that, and it doesn't seem necessary. Injectors should be the same...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, guys. I'd still appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually installed a Japanese spec motor to let me know if I'm going to have any surprises when I get around to installing the engine. Like am I going to be able to bolt the perhaps different exhaust manifold to my original (144k miles!) exhaust system? Will all the plugs hook up? Will she still run happily on 87 octane fuel? Were factory standard ignition timing OK?

If no-one gets back, I'll assume I'm the first and will post my findings. I'm hoping this will work out, as the $720 I paid for the engine is less than the cost of cams, followers and lash adjusters that my engine needs!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
being a SR20 aficiado, I know the diff by just looking at the engine. 10:1 engine has a diff valve cover than the 9.5:1 engine. The Nissan letters are centered and there is a indentation in the valve cover right after Nissan lettering. Thats if the OEM valve cover is still on there. FYI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts