SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a USDM ECU can run a JDM SR20DE...how is this possible? I have heard that the JDM's have no EGR or any of that emissions crap. What about the USDM ecu? isn't it programmed for all the emissions junk? does the ECU just see there is no emissions, or something? when doing an install, are there any connectors left over after you're done?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silversx:
I've heard a USDM ECU can run a JDM SR20DE...how is this possible? I have heard that the JDM's have no EGR or any of that emissions crap. What about the USDM ecu? isn't it programmed for all the emissions junk? does the ECU just see there is no emissions, or something? when doing an install, are there any connectors left over after you're done?
</font>
If I remember correctly, the only thing you would be swapping out when going to the JDM SR20DE would be just the block and head. To retain the EGR, you would use the USDM intake manifold (assuming high-port) and USDM exhaust manifold. Everything else is plug and play and you can still use the USDM ECU. There really is no gain to using the JDM ECU unless you want a speed limiter and a car that spews quite a bit of emissions. That's where a JWT ECU comes in.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why would you want to do what? retain EGR and etc? to pass inspection, and to make sur every wire in the engine bay is connected....would you lose power from keeping the USDM intake/exhaust manifolds?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
why would you want to do what? retain EGR and etc? to pass inspection, and to make sur every wire in the engine bay is connected</font>
Umm... I would like to have a car that passes smog with flying colors, unless it's a trailered race car or something. Without the EGR, the motor spews out more NOx emissions and there is no power to be gained by removal of the EGR.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
....would you lose power from keeping the USDM intake/exhaust manifolds?
</font>
The USDM and JDM high-port intake manifolds are pretty much the same with the exception of the EGR on the USDM manifold. You more than likely would lose power using the stock USDM exhaust manifold vs. the JDM manifold, but why bother with that? Get a Hotshot header or something.

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
Do you have to use the high port intake manifold on the JDM engines?

------------------
'95 200sx Se-R Stillen Exhaust, Weapon R adapter intake, 17" Chrome w/ Nitto NT 555, Arospeed Adjustable coilovers

·
8,148 Posts

</font>
What so hard about swapping manifolds? Besides I read somewhere that Andreas found that US cars (or a certain car in particular) actually LOSE (or lost power) because it did not have a EGR.

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
If you goto my page in detail it describes everything i used from the USDM engine and put on the JDM engine, its worth checking out :)

------------------
- Dennis
http://www.geocities.com/sr20deswap/
-91 Classic w/ Priemra Swap
Aim: avurX

1 - 14 of 14 Posts