SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did a rolling road day with the gtiroc club on Saturday and thought you'd be interested in the results ;)
The graphs below are in flywheel horse power based on measuring the transmission losses which are obvious very high on a 4 wheel drive car approx double what you'd see on a fwd or rwd car.
The cars spec is:
Hks 264 step 2 cams
standard pullies and springs
standard head
hks 86mm forged pistons
hks 1.2mm headgasket
hks s40i plugs
evo 6 fmic
hiteq fuel pump
sard 700cc injectors
apexi s-afc11
apexi itc
Z32 maf
standard exhaust manifold
standard dump/J pipe
Jgy bb37r turbo
mongoose exhaust turbo back with 2.5"
wizards of nos 100i kit with 50bhp jets
ap racing organic clutch
21psi/1.45bar boost
98 ron pump fuel
15 degree base timing backed off 2 degrees at 7000 rpm just to be on the safe side ;)

Also the engine is pretty knackered tbh as it blew up about a month back and i've just bodged it back together until I can afford to repair it properly :redface:
anyway heres the graphs.
http://uk.msnusers.com/_Secure/0QQA...XvGWWTqXYSJI/power.jpg?dc=4675465214076482666

http://uk.msnusers.com/_Secure/0QgA...uBCCj72GgDU/torque.jpg?dc=4675465214082845581

The black line is with a 50 shot of nos added for good measure lol and the blue line is the no nos run, also the engine hit the rev limiter before the power tailed off on the no nos run so its possible there was still more to come?
I feel that the standard manifold and more importantly the standard J pipe and 2.5" exhaust would have been holding back the engine quite alot so it will be interesting to sell what sort of difference a decent J pipe and 3" exhaust will make to it at a later date.

Also on the same day a friend with a JGYBB37 fitted to his car (gtir again)put out 390bhp at the flywheel with pretty much the same spec apart from he had standard cams but with a ported head.

I feel on a fwd or rwd car you'd be seeing around 350 wheel bhp at 20psi (98 ron pump gas) with these turbo's and probably abit more with decent J pipe and 3" exhaust? some decent mapping wouldn't go amiss either :redface:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh sorry was trying to get the graphs up on the post but can't do it for some reason? so i've just put the links in now so should work?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
97SE-R C2 said:
Can't link to it or copy and paste :(
So with all that, it looks like you pulled about 400 HP at the crank, with the 50 shot, correct? 3" exhaust would help out alot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figures for crank hp were 390 @ 7500rpm without nos
416.9 with nos though at a lower 7000rpm?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
GINGA said:
Figures for crank hp were 390 @ 7500rpm without nos
416.9 with nos though at a lower 7000rpm?
Those are pretty damn good numbers, hows the spool? However i do believe that JGY claimed liek 400ish WHP.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its quite laggy compared to the standard T28 and doesn't really do much until 4000rpm though it does make boost from below 2000rpm my cams and lack of setting up probably aren't help much either on the spool up side of things.
I'm hoping at a later date to build another engine with a 8.8:1 compression combined with a 3" J pipe and exhaust etc which hopefully should improve the spool up aswell as top end power and get a better ecu set up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry the second link is the torque graph.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i thought
JGYBB37R is rated 500hp
JGYBB37 is rated 400hp

the Dyno look impressive for a almost internal stock GTiR
any clearance issue on the stock manifold or it just fit nicely ?

·
getting close
2,002 Posts
Is that WHP? and WTQ? Either way good numbers on a 2.5in exhaust, with some more tuning you could prob. get quite a bit more.

later,Jon

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
I'd love to see what it would be with 3" exhaust! Numbers look great!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
cmng said:
i thought
JGYBB37R is rated 500hp
JGYBB37 is rated 400hp

the Dyno look impressive for a almost internal stock GTiR
paul's numbers were done with a 2.5" exhaust, no ecu upgrade (just piggie backs) and at only 21psi. no offense to paul on his management choice, but there may be a good 50hp to be made with a nice power fc, or even just a jwt ecu upgrade.

also, run that thing at 25psi with a 3" exhaust.

this guy thinks that since you didn't get 500hp, the turbo can't do it. :0)
shaun

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i am not questioning the turbo capabilities
just wondering only
since JGYBB37R and JGYBB37 look similiar when come to wording. minus the R :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Basically a direct fit even the oil and water lines fitted straight on, the only thing that had to be done was enlongate the original oil return fitting holes to get it to fit and enlongate one of the holes in the stock J pipe to.
Even used the stock actuator bracket just redrilled the holes.
Hopefully I'll be investing in a decent ecu at a latter date probably power fc so hope to find a fair bit more power and increase the spool up at the same time and increase the rev limit also as was hitting limiter before power tailed off when not using gas.
I'd like to increase the boost upto 25 and maybe even 28psi aswell as optimising the timing/fuelling but that will have to wait until I get the funds to repair my damaged head,block and pistons :( for that to happen.
The standard J pipe must really be holding the engine back to I would have thought looking at it, so will be interesting to see just how much of a difference a 3" J pipe and exhuast will make ( hopefully lots :) ) a uprated manifold would be nice to hint hint ;) need more money lol
Overall I'm very happy with the turbo and its pretty much done exactly what I was looking for from it eg 400 crank hp at about 1.4bar boost aswell as holding power all the way to the limiter and I'm sure with a decent exhaust setup and ecu on it I'll see a fair bit more yet :)

·
The Serbaninator
3,241 Posts
keep in mind guys, he did this on an AWD car! awesome numbers!

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
you definitely need a 3"! I would expect 20+ hp fom just exhaust.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
You are getting lower powerband with nitrous because you are forcing a lot more air through the turbo, maxxing it out faster, so you get more power earlier, but the turbo dies off much faster with 50hp more flowing through it...this is why its not always a good idea to use turbo/n2o at the same time. And your exhaust is hindering you like you wouldn't believe. I would estimate faster spool with bigger exhaust.

Justin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts