SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a jingling/clattering noise in my engine at EXACTLY 2000-2500rpm, it's real quiet and faint when your in the cockpit of the NX, when you're driving around at 2000-2500, but if i step outside the car and have someone hold the rpm's at 2000-2500, i hear the jingling/clattering...what is this? it's not affecting my performance much, or, it doesent seem to. the car still runs the same. i have noticed this noise for a while, perhaps ever since i got the car, but have never really thought about it. what could it be? could it be my timing chain tensioner? if so, i have another one, should i install it? the procedure is rather easy, to install another one, right?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, no header. i'm stock, 176,000 miles. i hear the timing chain tensioner needs to be replaced around 100k..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
jo mom
502 Posts
Does the ringing change with rpm. Mine does, sounds like a freaking chain.. Real faint though. Mine must need a tensioner. 115k original.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a ringing sound right before 2000RPM, we figured out it was some metal rings that were over a [now unused] EGR tube. Just so happened at that frequency they would jump and make a loud ringing sound.

I left it there. It adds "character" so says Luis.

Sherman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts