SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SR20DE Driver
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am a moderator over at TeamSR, it is a forum for the Hyundais. Anyway, I just bought a 91 NX2000 and it has the apparently notorius 5th gear synchro problem. I have a few questions to ask.....
1. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost for the fix?

2. The car has 117,000 miles on it so I'm thinking replace the clutch too while we're in there. What are my choices in clutches and maybe some price ranges?? What are the "preferred clutches" to go with?

3. What are the bulb numbers for the headlights and fogs? I own a car/home audio business so I have the bulbs here. I'm picking the car up tonight or I would just look for myself.

4. I know Place makes a CAI for the car but I didn't see it on their site unless it is the same as the SE-R one?? Are there any other choices of CAI and some prices maybe? Are they well protected in the location that they end up in?

5. Last question, I definitly want a short shifter too. How many maufactuers make those and who makes the best in your opinions???

Sorry to ask so many questions at first but I am not going to waste time getting this car looking and running right. I have a set of wheels lined up already and an exhaust too. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
909 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tunez:
1. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost for the fix?</font>
Not to sure on this one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
2. The car has 117,000 miles on it so I'm thinking replace the clutch too while we're in there. What are my choices in clutches and maybe some price ranges?? What are the "preferred clutches" to go with?
</font>
I have the JWT pressure plate with stock disk and I like it alot. It feels like a stock clutch as far as pedal feel but grabs harder. Othere choices are ACT and clutchmasters.

3. What are the bulb numbers for the headlights and fogs? I own a car/home audio business so I have the bulbs here. I'm picking the car up tonight or I would just look for myself.
</font>
Headlights 9004
fogs H3

4. I know Place makes a CAI for the car but I didn't see it on their site unless it is the same as the SE-R one?? Are there any other choices of CAI and some prices maybe? Are they well protected in the location that they end up in?
</font>
I think it is the same as the classic. Hotshots also makes a CAI intake (the one I have) They are around $200. I have heard that a CAI is not the best choice for a NX though. There is not a place for air to get in.

5. Last question, I definitly want a short shifter too. How many maufactuers make those and who makes the best in your opinions???
</font>
IMO SMC (626-355-3763) makes the best one. It is adjustable so you determin how short you want the through to be. Pacesetter also makes one and you can get one from Courtesy Nissan. http://www.courtesyparts.com/

Sorry to ask so many questions at first
</font>

Thats what we are here for. What is the link to your site? I have some friends that would liket to check that out.

------------------
MarC

hood made transparent for your viewing pleasure http://members.home.net/mnmanderson/Publish/
AIM SER96MarC

[This message has been edited by MarC (edited 06-19-2001).]

·
Registered
466 Posts
The parts cost around $300 from Courtesy to fix 5th gear. If you have never done tranny work and don't have a FSM, don't try this at home. You might as well get a new clutch since you have to take the tranny off to fix 5th gear.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have heard that a CAI is not the best choice for a NX though. There is not a place for air to get in.</font>
I may be in the minority here,but I have the PR CAI,and I like it.
BTW,here's a suggestion for you guys who have concerns with the CAI not getting enough air:
DITCH THE OE FOG LIGHTS!!!

Come on,face it,it's a b*tch to replace the bulbs,aiming them is difficult at best.
Besides with the OE fogs out of the way,you will get more air into the radiator(which is good because NXen tend to run a little warm anyway),AND you'll open up a gap large enough to allow more air into the fenderwell where the CAI filter will be.

And personally,I think NXen look better without the OE fog lights.
http://www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Start.html

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 06-19-2001).]

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tunez:
Hey guys, I am a moderator over at TeamSR, it is a forum for the Hyundais. Anyway, I just bought a 91 NX2000 and it has the apparently notorius 5th gear synchro problem. I have a few questions to ask.....
1. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost for the fix?

Sorry to ask so many questions at first but I am not going to waste time getting this car looking and running right. I have a set of wheels lined up already and an exhaust too. Thanks in advance for your help.
</font>
Here is my web page:
It has some useful information there. It is not as technical as it used to be but it will give you some general direction. I will be updating it soon.
http://www.angelfire.com/ny/ianjiggyroom/IansNX2000page.html

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Subculture:
I may be in the minority here,but I have the PR CAI,and I like it.
BTW,here's a suggestion for you guys who have concerns with the CAI not getting enough air:
DITCH THE OE FOG LIGHTS!!!

Come on,face it,it's a b*tch to replace the bulbs,aiming them is difficult at best.
Besides with the OE fogs out of the way,you will get more air into the radiator(which is good because NXen tend to run a little warm anyway),AND you'll open up a gap large enough to allow more air into the fenderwell where the CAI filter will be.

And personally,I think NXen look better without the OE fog lights.
http://www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Start.html

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 06-19-2001).]
</font>

You are so right. When I swapped to a MSDesign spoiler the foglamps are moved closer to the middle of the car. The new bumper cover does not utilize the foglight brackets. Guess what, I could get airflow to a CAI if I cut out a small home in the MSdesign spoiler. I will be doing that maybe later. I will post my results soon.

·
SR20DE Driver
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys!

Mark C, What did you pay fro the JWT pressure plate. I went to their site and there were no prices listed. TIA

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
The JWT pressure plate is definately pretty nice. I drove MarC's car and beat the piss out of it at the convention.
Whoops, wasn't supposed to tell him that. jk, the clutch feels much like a stock clutch and I could tell it grabbed a lot harder than my stock clutch when he drove me to the track. If you are really serious about going fast (nitrous,turbo) you man want to look into an ACT. I've driven an SE-R with the ACT street/strip clutch and found it to be pretty nice. Pedal effort is definatley higher than stock, but the clutch grabs very well.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

G

·
Yep the fog lamps can be painful to replace. Especially if you are in a rust zone. You may have to resort to using a torch on both the trim screw casings and on the four screws in the surrounding case. Be careful! I stripped a trim screw trying to get the plastic trim off.

CynVision

1 - 10 of 10 Posts