SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my valve cover it has the Infinity sign does this means its not the original motor?? I just drove 1100 miles back from picking up the car. I notice a very small oil leak under the car like little drips anyone has any idea where a oil leak will occur first? Besides this the car drove nice it only had 77K on the odometer pending my question above about the valve cover.

H

·
0 Posts
The valve cover is a common replacement and I've seen it done on a couple of cars (one in person and one in SCC to an FMAXed GTI-R motor). That's not something that means it's not the original motor. 77k miles, though, sounds REAL low, which is a good thing. I like low mile cars. Hope this helps

-Andy Boyles, AZ
'95 200SX SE-R w/ goodies ;) for sale

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
92nx2000 said:
I notice a very small oil leak under the car like little drips anyone has any idea where a oil leak will occur first?
Check the seal around the oil pan. If it seems good, look for the oil pressure switch. It is a very common part to leak on the SR20's. It is located right above the power steering pump towards the passenger wheel well. It is connected to the bottom of the oil filter bracket where the oil filter screws onto. You will have to jack the car up and look straight up as if you wanted to look at the bottom of the intake plenum. Just look more to the right.

Go here for more info on the leaky oil pressure switch. The part # is also listed:

http://nismopc.tripod.com/oil_switch.htm

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so does it mean my valve cover was change or did some nx2000 come with a INFINITY sign on the valve cover.. Thanks guys for the help i will check my oil pressure sensor and oil pan for signs of leak. I drove the car 14hrs straight and it made it fine. I have 77K now.

H

·
0 Posts
The previous owner probably changed the valve cover. That's all that probably means. (Once again, it could be that someone put an infinity SR20 in there, but that's unlikely). Hope this helps, too.

-Andy Boyles, AZ

·
8,148 Posts
92nx2000 said:
On my valve cover it has the Infinity sign does this means its not the original motor?? I just drove 1100 miles back from picking up the car. I notice a very small oil leak under the car like little drips anyone has any idea where a oil leak will occur first? Besides this the car drove nice it only had 77K on the odometer pending my question above about the valve cover.
It is possible the old motor spun a bearing (which is not anything to worry about, just keep changing the oil at a MAX of 2500 miles and you should not spin a bearing) and they got a G20 motor and dropped it in. I don't see why someone would change just a valve cover.
As for the leak, check the front mail seal. If not that check the oil pan bolt. Those crushed washers tend to leak sometimes.

·
8,148 Posts
hayabusaman said:
The previous owner probably changed the valve cover. That's all that probably means. (Once again, it could be that someone put an infinity SR20 in there, but that's unlikely). Hope this helps, too.

-Andy Boyles, AZ
No, it is highly likely that the motor spun a bearing.
If it an automatic it is likely the cams were worn.
That is the problem with SR20's. That's a time proven fact.
They probally got a G20 motor and swapped it in. Just change the oil regurally and rev out the motor to 7G or redline on the car at least once a day. (Don't go racing it every minute!!!).
This will ensure your motor doesn't get sludged up over time.

H

·
0 Posts
My bad. :D

I'm still a newbie!

Thank you for correcting me though. I love learning new stuff.

-Andy Boyles, AZ

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
have seen a few down here like that

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RacerX said:
have seen a few down here like that
What do you mean? SO my next step is to findout if the motor is orginal and just the valvecover was swap or was the motor swap out of a G20. Are there serial # on the motors? where? I'm trying to find out if my motor really has 77K like my Chasis does. It was kind of weird that carfax only reported 2K of driving last year too. Well i'll take pic of the car soon so everyone can see how it looks like and the valve cover marked with writtings as if someone pulled the valve cover out of a junk yard. It drives like a charm but i just wanted to verify things.

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
92nx2000 said:
Well i'll take pic of the car soon so everyone can see how it looks like and the valve cover marked with writtings as if someone pulled the valve cover out of a junk yard.
Well, it sounds like a used engine swap to me. Check the serial #'s on the engine block and match them with the serial numbers on the dash near the front windshield (drivers side) or the plate on the firewall. If they are different, you got yourself a Infiniti NX2000. Hehehehe! Anyhow, contact the prior owner or dealer and ask them if they have any knowledge of the swap.

Hell, you might have less miles on that engine than what is on the odomoter.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
I think they just dropped a new motor in to it, which is good since you probably have less than 77K on it :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I will try to find the VIN on the BLOCK. Where is it on the block?? I hope it is a less mileage one than 77K it suppose to have. I will do a compression test too. What compression are normal in all cylinder?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Re: Re: Just bought a 92 Nx2000 but got some q?

Pretty White said:

I don't see why someone would change just a valve cover.
Mike Kojimo has an Infinity valve ccover on his '95 SE-R.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Re: Just bought a 92 Nx2000 but got some q?

eric96ser said:

Mike Kojimo has an Infinity valve ccover on his '95 SE-R.

I'm trying to eliminate the fact that something was wrong with the valvecover and it was change out. I am 90% sure that the motor was swap out but i just need to verify the vin of the G20 motor to see its history via carfax. You guys are all great and None of the hondaclub flames and professional manners.

·
8,148 Posts
To be honest it doesn't make a difference if it is a NX motor or a G20 motor, it is a SR20. Chances are the shop or person would not get a high mileage motor and drop it in the car. Most salvage yards try to sell lower mileage motors. If it were a Soken motor it would be better. The only way I would see someone swapping out valve covers is if they were installing cams or something and dropped the valve cover and broke it and got one from someone or a salvage yard. I understand your confusion but in reality if the motor doesn't knock it really doesn't make a difference. Enjoy the NX2000.
Check out my page in the sig! Lots of ideas there.
As far as Carfax is concerned, I will be the first to say they are full of ****.
Yeah, it will show you when the car been inspected, but my car was written off by two insurance companies and it is not listed on carfax. My brother bought a 907A car (NY Salvage car code) and when I ran the VIN on Carfax it did not show up either. So DON"T TAKE CARFAX SERIOUS!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts