SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and I had an idea the other night at the track. We'd like to try and build a compressed air charger. Instead of a turbo or a supercharger we'd just have a tank of air w/ some sort of regulation system (the hard part ;)) and a moisture trap of some sort.

Has anyone ever attempted something like this before? If so what complications did you/they run into? Any input is helpfull. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Some guy on the I-club tried it but with an electric fan thats 3inch...With it on full power he saw 3psi of positive pressure..but he paid 3bills for his fan something bout little airplane fans. So your idea might work i guess.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Just use NOS, it'll work better because basically, with your idea, you'll just have a bottle of compressed air. A bottle of NOS of the same size would have more oxygen in it so you can burn more gas, make more power, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought NOS got injected into your fuel? Hmmm...guess I've got a lot to learn yet. If I follow your reseaoning then I'd be even better off just using pure bottled oxygen to pressurize the intake. I thought about that first actually, but I wanted to try the compressed air first because it's tamer ;)

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
Just stick with the basics.....

Hummm...... Why don't u just buy a bunch of Dust off for your computer and hook it up to your intake. Instant 100 shot !!!!!:rolleyes:

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Pure bottled Oxygen would be bad... a bottle of NOS blowing up is bad enough!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
SR20 B12 if you read my post it says "I've got a lot to learn yet" How'd you like it if I answered all your posts that way? I think somebody needs a life ;)

For all of those who replied with helpfull info so far, thanks.

I'm still not sure I follow though. Air is about 21% oxygen or so. The SR20DE w/ 8lbs of boost runs about 200hp or so correct? So, how come you couldn't run like 2lbs of boost w/ pure oxygen safely? Is there some other component of air that is necessary for combustion?

I'm not worried about it blowing up either. We're going to take necessary precations such as keeping the bottle in a kevlar sleeve.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You might stick with nos. The thought of putting pure oxygen into a motor is kinda scary! :eek:

·
Registered
765 Posts
yeah dude u need to match that extra air with some fuel or you'll lean out the mixture and blow that sucker up

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Hmm.... my guess as to why no one uses pure oxygen is that I would think it's not all that stable. The Nitrogen in NO2 probably makes it a bit more stable and less volatile so you can control the combustion better. This is purely pulling **** outta my ass but it's a guess.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Your right. The nitrogen acts like a buffer and slows every thing down. But I always wanted to put pure oxygen in a motor just to see it go BOOM!!!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well, off the top of my head the main reason this won't work is because you have to pressurize a HELL of a lot of air. On a turbo motor all the air is coming in through the intake, compressor & MAF then going into the manifold. I'm assuming your idea would be to pressurize the manifold after the throttlebody, and assuming you somehow figured out how to meter the extra air & fuel correctly you'd use up a lot of air on a single boosted run.

Nitrous OTOH is injected as fuel, not as part of the atmosphere. Water is injected as a method of controlling combustion. Nitromethane is injected as a super-fuel I believe.. and of course there's alternative fuels like diesel, methane and alcohol. So from a finite-source fuel point of view, a tank of air wouldn't do much. The oxygen idea is interesting works theoretically from a fuel standpoint, but the thought of liquid oxygen used as a fuel in an internal combustion engine is scary. Build a rocket instead :)

This is all just college-dropout-D-in-physics theorizing though so keep that in mind :rolleyes:

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
grndmsterofpool said:
SR20 B12 if you read my post it says "I've got a lot to learn yet" How'd you like it if I answered all your posts that way? I think somebody needs a life ;)
Hummmm..... I need a life? I'm not the one sitting around with my buddies trying to find corny ass ways of making my car blow up! And running 200 hp's on a sr20 to me is about 200 less that what I have. I'll ease up on u because u don't know what I got and probably wouldn't understand if I told u anyway. But it's all in the signature :cool:

PS: I major in chemestry so I would know something about this topic. The fuel will be burned so fast that it's not even funny. It would basically eat the engine apart in a few seconds (depends on how much air your letting in). Might as well run C02!!

Not bad for a 16 year old kid, huh?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And running 200 hp's on a sr20 to me is about 200 less that what I have. I'll ease up on u because u don't know what I got and probably wouldn't understand if I told u anyway. But it's all in the signature
I'd understand just fine thanks. I'm not looking to run 400+ hp. I've rebuilt a tranny once and I'm not looking to do it again in the near future ;) My guess is that you're not double clutching with that much hp are you? If you're not you can say bye bye to that tranny sooner than later. I do know that much tough guy.

yeah dude u need to match that extra air with some fuel or you'll lean out the mixture and blow that sucker up
I figured as much :D I guess what I really just wanna know is if it's even feasable at all? I'm not really looking for a faster form of forced induction, just something different that no one's ever done before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts