SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming to work with the wet ass snow turning off the main road and got my car turned about 45 degrees and that was about it. Kept sliding. Brakes did nothing, Steering did nothing. Hit the curb (actually one of those storm drains that has metal for the curb and a grating on the road next to it) kinda hard. Haven't heard a car that I drive in hit something in a LONG time. Hit square on my driver front rim. Thought "Great, ot only is my rim bent and my suspension ****ed, but my bumper and foglight are probably not in too great of shape either" since the curb was one of those tall square ones. Got the rest of the way to work (just around the corner) and looked. No damage to the bumper whatsoever (guess the stock extra high ride height in the front isn't such a bad thing :) ) and just a 5 inch or so scratch along the edge of the rim. It didn't appear grossly bent, nor did it appear bent at all. And the wheel didn't appear to be grossly bent at an angle or anything, but will have to take it in for a gander at the stealer. Thank god my bumper is ok. :) I needed an alignment anyways too :) but who know what damage may be lurking. Suspensions are made to take jolts and stuff and I wasn't moving fast at all, so maybe it's ok. Rim had some residue of the rusty metal from the curb on it, but the scratch is kinda bad. One of my allow Civic HX wheels on my old Civic had a similar looking scratch. This one will probably end up being twice as bad as that one though. As long as it's not bent and my suspension is fine (except maybe an needing an alignemt) I will be happy. Will keep you posted.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ABS- the one option my car does not have. How hard/expensive is it to retrofit ABS?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
well, if you are worried about the abs for the snow and ice, do not worry about it, it is worthless anyways, I live in the land of ice-storms and abs does nothing on sheet ice or slush or snow, it basically helps your wheels from locking up in the dry,but will lock up if the car is still moving on anything slippery.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
From what I have herd abs is horrible in the snow. When it senses one of the tires locking up it kicks on the abs. When the abs kicks on it pulses the brakes like you need to do an emergency manuver eg. turning and breaking. The only way to stop it is by letting off the brakes. This can happen when your doing 40mph and you just tap them in the snow and one locks for a second. Possibly causing an crash. All you have to do is drive slower.... I know its hard.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
just kind of take it as if it were a ferrari you were driving for the first time. I only wish I could drive in snow when it hits down here instead of 1/2 inch sheet ice ;-) (oh well, my buddy has an impreza 2.5 rs and is a BLAST to drive in the ice)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well just took a 40 mile trip on the highway and hit 110 twice and it feels fine. Alignment is the same before I hit the curb and again the only thing I notice is the scratch on the rim which isn't noticable further than 6 feet away and obviously not noticable when the wheel is spinning. I'll take it in for an alignment tomorrow anyways since it needs one and get everything checked out.

How much should I pay for a 4 wheel alignment? Haven't got one on any car for ages.

Also since my car is under warranty, is the alignment under warranty too? (longshot, I know)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I know that you have one year to get one for free from the factory, but otherwise, no, not under warranty, and the 4 wheel alignment just makes sure that the front wheels are going in the same direction as the rears, only like a ten dollar diffrence anyways.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Sorry been a while since I checked the board here. Spring break this week and my surfing time is much shorter cause Im out doing things.

I well with alloy rims I dont think there is too much worry. If its not bent on the outside it should be ok. My friend hit a curb during the last snow in Cookeville and he bent a rim. It was steel rims on a 79 mercury zephyr wagon :) loads of fun. Going to drop the inline 6 this summer for a 351windsor v8 :) but anyways. His rim was bent slightly on the outer edge. Not leaking but we said hell 15 bucks for a rim at a junk yard why not replace it so the new tires dont wear out too quickly cause it was pushing it in. When the tire came off the inside of the rim was bent all to hell. So I would consider taking the tire loose to see if the inside has buckled any but shouldnt with the alloy rims. lot strong than the old steel rims of the 70's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts