SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, me and my friend just finished throwing the battery into the trunk. We used 20' monster standard power cable (4-guage) and 4' of the same for the ground. This is how much i spent:

24' @ $1/ft + tax = $27 (hook-up)
2 battery terminals and other misc. hardware = $12
Universal battery tray and install kit = $15

So the total was $54, not to bad at all. I know summit sells a kit but i guess i sacraficed a box for the monster power wire instead. We grounded it where the spare tire was held down...just sanded it down for a good ground. We also took out the rear seats, spare and jack, weight reduction! :D

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Why did you use 4 gauge wire? The OEM wire is 2 gauge isn't it? Besides that, you're traveling several feet instead of a couple. You could have bought 24' of silver coated 2 gauge wire for $29 @ $1.20 a foot from me. I would at least install a good sized fuse right by the battery, I'd hate to see you burn through that 4 gauge trying to start the car on a cold day. I'd get a wafer fuse and holder and install it inline on the positive wire right by the battery asap. Since fuses are rated to blow at 200% @ 5 seconds, I'd use a 150 amp fuse.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Yeah, the summit kit is about $50 shipped with the box, and come qith 1 gauge i believe.

·
Technician @ Toyota
2,852 Posts
hey i put my battery in the trunk
about a year ago and no problems
with my 4 gauge wires and no fuse
but i will be putting an external cutoff
switch for track and saftey issues. The fuse
thing im considering but i would like to rewire
everything lookin for one of those kits... hint hint

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
dave did u put a kill switch on your car? I dont know if you race at new england dragway but they require one if the battery is mounted in the trunk. just a heads up in case you didnt know....

Nate

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't race there, and i don't think im going to be really. I want it to be more of a street car. I read on this forum that 4-guage is sufficient, so im gonna stick with that until (or if) the wire fails on me.

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and toolapcfan, i'll put that fuse there when i get a chance. i JUST got it done today before i had to head off to work...

·
The Serbaninator
3,241 Posts
scortch99th said:
hey i put my battery in the trunk
about a year ago and no problems
with my 4 gauge wires and no fuse
but i will be putting an external cutoff
switch for track and saftey issues. The fuse
thing im considering but i would like to rewire
everything lookin for one of those kits... hint hint

you don't have to hit the space bar after every 7-8 words there captain.....

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
chimmike said:
you don't have to hit the space bar after every 7-8 words there captain.....
hahahaha. Damn, people writing in weird ways and people bustin them for it is coming up a lot lately. This ****'s crackin me up. Haha...

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
I'd be careful what size circuit breaker you use though. Most I've seen blow at 200% @ 5 seconds, but who knows how long it takes at 100% and you want that circuit breaker to trip before that wire gets anywhere near hot enough to cause problems. I always oversize my wire and undersize my fuses and I've never had a problem with fuses blowing to easily or ever had wiring problems. I'm going to use 0 gauge to relocate my battery and a 140 amp circuit breaker. Then there will be a fuse block in the engine bay that replaces that OEM fusible link and a distribution block, from which I'll have my positive cable replacement to the starter and alternator. Under the dash there will be a tap into that 0 gauge wire which will go to a barrier strip and fuse block that I can tap into when I add my power windows and locks, alarm/starter, etc. I can setup seperate relays to have seperate ACC and ON/Start circuits as well. Then adding things later on will be easy, no running wires to the engine bay or hacking into OEM wiring, adding loads to existing circuits. Oh and Dave, I'd use no larger than a 100 amp fuse on that wire.

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
I have 0 gauge and a 200 amp anl fuse in the trunk with an optima red top. nothing like over kill!

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Oversizing your fuse isn't overkill, undersizing would be. I'd switch that 200 out with a 150. That wire will be more than content to allow 300 amps through it without even getting warm, but 400, now that's a different story. I can hook you up on those ANL fuses if you want, $5 each. I can get nice fuseholders for them as well for $10. Anyone know by chance what size that fusible link is right off the battery?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts