SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just got a 1997 se-r with high mileage 147K to be exact. I am in the process of learning how to drive a manual car. I have some questions. How long can i expect the car to last.

My friend tells me everything sounds good and the gears feel good. Also when im driving at a steady speed and let off the gas pedal immediately, the car jumps. If i let off the pedal slowly the car dosnet jump. Is this normal? Last of all any thing i should be aware of and if there is any free mods i can do to get some power of out of it? Thanks.

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
Welcome. Sr20s can go way past 200k if properly maintened. That jumping and lunging is most likely from worn motor mounts, mine does the same. Free mods inlude timing, throttle cable tightening, and I believe turning the airbox upside down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well actually all 3 motor mounts(i think it has 3) were replaced by the previous owner like 2K miles ago. I have the receipt of the labor. Maybe im over exaggerating.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Bet you just need to practice driveing a standard a bit longer. If your not smooth with the clutch and throttle of course it will jump.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
yeah, just maintain it religiously and it should take care of you. Welcome to the SR20forum!

·
old school
504 Posts
Welcome! Get driving manual down first, take care of all the maintenance items right away, and READ everything you can on this forum.... then mod away if you wish.

·
SR20JET POWERED!!!
1,819 Posts
Check the cams, when i got my 95 i noticed the valves were making more noise then usual, so i took the valve cover off and saw that the cams and the rocker arms were worn so bad that they were wavy, and had some flat spots, and about an 8th of an inch of the cam was worn off... but if yours is fine, have lots of fun, youll love the car.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I would say, learn to drive the car basically stock for a few months, then have a plan before you invest money into mods you are going to take off in a few months. Take the bottom half of your intake box off, duct tape the filter to the top half, there is 1-3hp right there, make your throttle cable tighter, there is a little bit of performance, and advance your timing to 19* and run 93oct and you will have a peppy stock car. Good luck and keep it clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts