SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can't get a pop yet i decided to cut my airbox. Man, what a difference. Although i don't think it made much HP it definitly improved torque and throttle response. But truly the best part is the growl at WOT.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well i think it was Jay H. that first came up with a semi professional reason on why the Ghetto box works. The stock filter is plenty large enough for the engine for flow rates and total filter size. I would almost bet to that the extra space between the filter and the MAF acts like a plenum for the engine. It fills it up and always has the extra filtered air there when it needs it. The POP does this a little but the big thing about the POP is the improved venturi design. I bet if you could make the stock venturi bigger and smoother the ghetto box would be on the level with a POP or so. Next thing is getting cooler air to it. Think im going to fab up a heat shield for the POP and use the hole from the stock intake as a cool air intake sorta thing. See if that helps any.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a question about the hacked air box. I was looking at a stock intake system on another car, and I was rather perplexed.There's a sensor before the filter and one afterwards. How would He go about chopping his air box....I couldn't figure it out at all. If he hacks before the filter, more air will be going in that the sensor will read, so he won't get the right air\fuel mixture, right? and you can't hack after the filter....so got any suggestions?

·
Registered
420 Posts
that's what my brother was guessing, just s temp gauge. I don't know tho. I'll talk to the guy again on Monday. So if it's a temp sensor he can chop off the area in front of the filter as long as the sensor is in front of the filter

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
It is an air temp sensor. I have left mine dangling in the resonator box hole for 6 months and jacen you saw how my car dynoed
so it can't be a bad thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts