SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love it! Did it all by my little self in about 3 hours start to finish without ever looking at it before to see how to do it. Was able to get the exhaust off the hangers but I could not separate the cat from the b-pipe no matter how hard I tried to spin those two bolts. Even got a hammer and banged the socket wrench as hard as a could and neither bolt budged. It's only 2 years old! Friggin salt and snow... Anyways was able to remove and replace everything pretty easily and without burns or scapes whatsoever with the cat right in the way. The only hitch was that the heat shield rubbed right against the shifter bottom when I first put it on. Had to take it off and beat it with a hammer for a short while giving myself a wonderful headache (loud bastard when you bang on it) and got it shaped ok. No longer rubbed but it you pushed the cat up just a little bit it would hit the heat shield, but driving around so far I haven't heard bang once.

Love the feel! Notchy and everything. :) Feels better than an S2000's shifter.

Oh, and the "shift knob is harder than holy hell to get off" all of SE-R.net folks talk about, talking about huge pipe wrenches and rolling your car over it and stuff, all I did was wrap it in a towel, get a smallish pipe wrench, got it tight, gave it a little twist, and popped right out of place, no problem. I was like "Is that it?" :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
well, you learned your lesson, next car you buy, put the short shifter on first :) and if you banged on the bolts and could not even get them loose, HOW do you expect to put an exhaust on there? ya, but the fun part is putting parts of the stock shifter on the smc :) ya, I think they used cheaper glue on the 98s b/c mine was not that hard to take off either. How far down do you have yours set? better be all the way or I am going to be very disappointed in you Ben :):)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OF COURSE its on the shortest setting! What do you think I am? :) And yes this IS my first mod (besides the Mobil 1 oil and filter, Redline MT90, 17 degree timing, and air filter chicken wired to the top of the airbox with the rest of the stock intake removed) but these aren't real "mods" per se. Next thing will be KYB AGX's and ProKits. That's probably 2+ months away though unfortunately. :(

I've never actually "chirped" 1-2 before today. :) I've certainly got them to break loose for a second, but never squeal. Today I did :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
hell, I just took mine out :) it not only saves you some banging time, but you loose some weight and gain some downforce ;-);-)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know that I like it anymore. I'm missing shifts more than I ever have. It's not that I'm missing the gate but the force it takes to move it from gear to gear is so great that even with my quick fast force to the shifter it won't make it in gear by the time I let the clutch back out. I've done this many times 1-2 and 2-3 this week so far, sometimes grinding badly sometimes simply missing the gear and hitting the rev limiter. Think I'm going to have to adjust the throws longer.

Any comments?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
oh, cmon' ben, how much of that grease did you put in there. I know it is alot more notchy than the stock one, but you should get used to it. it just takes a while, also, when it is cold outside (like 50 :) it is pretty hard to shift, just wait for it to warm up a little bit and you should see a vast improvement, I promse :)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's feeling a lot better now. I think it may just need some time to "break in?" The shifts are nice and easy and good now and I like it a lot. Anyone seem to have to let the shifter break in before it feels ok?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
like I said, it might take a little while to get used to it, and it will break in, I just put mine in during the middle of summer (about 195 degrees, 85% humidity) and felt really smooth when I first drove it. its just one of those things. I am still not used to the NOS and I have gone through 1.5 bottles so far :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
OK - trolling for comments here:

Mike, I know you have a Pacesetter Short-Shifter(nice website, by the way). And we know Ben & Brian have the SMC. I want to know the pros & cons of each, and the subjective opinions of the owners. Not looking for a "mine is better than yours" comparo here - just some insight.

Thanks,
Chris

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Me?? Thanks. What I thought was that SMC makes them for Pacesetter? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. They both have adjustable throws and an angled shaft. The only diff would be the price... I got mine for $79 through a GD last summer.

Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
yep, pacesetter bought the patent rights from smc and makes the same thing that smc makes, but maybe a little bit cheaper. I do not know how much the pacesetter goes for but you can get the smc from us for like 140 bux (maybe cheaper now, I know we have a bunch of short shifters in stock right now, I know we have the stillen, the smc and maybe a few other ones, just give us a call and see what we got for ya')

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got my SMC throught a group deal for $77 or something. Althought it took a month and a half to get here....

But now that I have it I like it. It's worth the money. Not that I was annoyed with the stock shifter, but this one is simply better. It's like my (Honda Civic) leather steering wheel cover. Gets rid of the pathetic feel and thinness of the stock wheel and just makes the driving experience better. Now if I could just get my newly installed front speakers to quit rattling the inside of the doors my driving experience would be very good...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys. Had a couple of my 240SX buddies in the car this weekend for track day at Road Atlanta. They were poking fun at the length of the shift gate. Guess it got me thinking about the short-shifter again. I'll drop Courtesy a line Brian. Thanks,
CB

·
Registered
254 Posts
OK - thanks for the tip.

I called Group Five yesterday to inquire about the Tomei S/S. Group Five told me it may not be in production anymore/or is not in stock. I'll try the other American Tomei distributors, too. Never know what might change/get lost in the "translation". :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
S/S Hunt update:

Billet Aluminum SS - LandSpeed Racing - www.landspeedracing.com - $90.00.

Checking into Tomei S/S still - current YEN vs US$ makes it approx. $260. Have email directly to Tomei. (have friend with 240SX and Tomei S/S - excellent feel & directness. Feels better than comparable 240 S/S from American companies - go figure).

More info as I find it......the quest continues.....

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, I spent money on a ss that was similar to that one and retailed for about the same, all I got to say about the quality on that one (may be a diffrent one, but....)I gave[/]it to someone b/c it was such a pos. the top of the shifter is glued on and the first time I got the shifter hot, it loosened up and, well no good, had to cost off the hwy and mess with it a little bit, and limp home, put the stock shifter back in, and waste a perfectly good afternoon (got a pretty good scar too, I'll show and tell at the convention for those who care :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts