SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People, I was going to have my valve cover polished. Then I thought, why not chrome plate it? Okay now I've heard you can't plate Aluminum. So I call a bunch of metal fab & plating houses. Come to find out you can plate it, but not many people do because it is difficult. Something to do with Aluminum not taking the charge as well as steel or some crap like that. Anyway here is a few questions I need to ask my people here at the BB.

1. Has anybody tried this? Any problems?

2. Is the Valve cover the same on the SR20DET as it is on my SR20DE? (Future wish)

3. Will the exhaust heat shield fit back on with Hotshot Gen 4 headers? (They are in my plans for the future.) I have not seen anybody still using them if they have the headers. Why not chrome it too right?

Just in case any of you North Carolina people are intrested it was a company called Chrome Right out of Fayetteville
(910) 323-2295

------------------
91 Aztec Red Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
As far as the polished cover goes - my uncle's engine man (he has classic restored and hot rodded chevy's) and the engine guy himself has a 1200+ HP drag car...
Anyways he told me it wouldn't be in my best interest for my DET because when you polish it get rid of tiny holes that allow the metal to breat and you end up with more heat - I don't know if its monkey dung or not..... But I aint doin it....
Chris

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
It is not monkey dung...

When you polish a metal you smooth the surface out and basically make it have less surface area, ie, less surface to radiate heat from... and it retains heat more readily...
This does not mean that shiny surfaces are bad for heat...

Someone else can chime in I am sure.. but if you have a ceramic coating and then polish that, it looks quite nice indeed, and blocks heat..
I know it has to do with the actual ceramics and the little air bubbles in the ceramics that insulate ...
anyways,
off to *shudder* calc I go!
later
David Lau
College student

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What sorta temp increase are we talking about here? Around 5? Found out about the heat shield not fitting with the gen 4 headers. Chrome Rite said they use a nickel plating, ulta shinny. Dude named Joel told me between $175.00 to $225.00 lifetime warranty not to peel crack etc... I think I'm going to do it. I'll post some pictures when its done. Dude said about 4-6 week wait though. He booked pretty solid now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts