SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone happened to notice the writeup and dyno numbers in Turbo this month on this kit. It seems pretty decent considering it's completely legal and all. However, the $4000 price tag kinda makes me cringe

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I stand corrected, it says a cost of $3595. My bad..... That's still a price that makes you think. I mean is CARB legality worth it?

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
What did it put to the wheels? Like 170hp? I think unless you REALLY want a turbo, you could take that money and build up an NA motor and still have money left.

------------------
'95 200sx Se-R Stillen Exhaust, Weapon R adapter intake, 17" Chrome w/ Nitto NT 555, Arospeed Adjustable coilovers

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yes-Ser:
What did it put to the wheels? Like 170hp?
</font>
It put down 177 whp. That's reasonable, but I see Greddy kits for Si's that are street/CARB legal putting down 220 whp or more. WTF! We need someone to come up with a kit like this for our cars.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
the ones that are putting down 220 whp are probably modified carb units. you always have to pay more with a nissan b/c we need to have an ecu to make the system work, a honda you can just dump something in there and work w/o it blowing up right away. afc is an option. you can intercool, go with bigger injectors, ect, ect on the jwt kit and make that kind of power though. you are not limited to just 177 whp.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace,SMC BAKB, motul 600 brake fluid, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I believe so. I think it is the kit that JWT and Nissan were working on together for an option for the se-r, but it fell through.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The article says that there will be an optional intercooler will be available. So, there is definitely potential there. I just don't see how a turbo kit that will get more hp can't be made for the same price with CARB approval.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it really that hard to get CARB approval??? I'd like to get around 250 whp street legal. How difficult would it be to set up my own kit. I'm a mechanical engineer, I have the training to perform the calcs.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
From what I understand they're extremely stringent about it, and it's very expensive to get it certified... in the thousands of dollars. But I don't know anything more specific than that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts