SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this look legit? Ive never really seen a JWT ECU before. The guy wants $200 for it and i just wanna make sure im not getting ripped off.

nathan

·
stirring but plain-faced
993 Posts
Looks legit to me. Really the only way to tell other than pulling the cover off the ECU is by the stickers on the unit.

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
sr20deboston said:
I recently upgraded mine. Here is the inside:
When you say recently upgraded, do you mean that you installed it yourself... is that the case? Can i just buy a chip and install it on rather than have all that downtime? I need to get it reprogrammed with a VE program, it has a turbo program now.

nathan

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
Yea, just have him pop the conver. Those labels look like JWT labels btw. Depending on the age, it should look pretty much like sr20debostons. His looks like a little older JWT board, the newer ones look similair but use smt components besides the 40-dip prom and have a little something extra included on them.

To answer sr20sleeper, only if you already own a JWT ecu. If not you won't have that great big green daughter board that says Jimmah Wolf on it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wonder what that eeprom actually does - i.e.: does it replace the factory maps completely, or just overlay them with supplementary maps to modify the factory maps for upgrades? If its just overlayed, I wonder if JWT couldn't make a piggy back black box like what used to come with Greddy Turbo kits before they started packaging them with emanage - i.e.: a less expensive option than changing the internals of the ECU would be to have the JWT magic packaged in a piggy back unit that could be plugged into both the harness and the stock ECU...

thoughts?

·
Banned
1,252 Posts
yea have him pop the cover i got burned and ended up with a fake ecu a while back and never got anything for it and ben from jwt will agree the ecu is still with him i guess i will use it as a core for my ve program

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, can i just buy the VE chip, have them ship it to me, and snap the thing in there? Do they sell them like that?

nathan

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
dreadsword said:
I wonder what that eeprom actually does - i.e.: does it replace the factory maps completely, or just overlay them with supplementary maps to modify the factory maps for upgrades? If its just overlayed, I wonder if JWT couldn't make a piggy back black box like what used to come with Greddy Turbo kits before they started packaging them with emanage - i.e.: a less expensive option than changing the internals of the ECU would be to have the JWT magic packaged in a piggy back unit that could be plugged into both the harness and the stock ECU...

thoughts?
No, it actually replaces the factory maps. The factory rom for se-r ecus is actually contained in one of the microcontrollers on the ecu. In older Nissan ecus (and honda, GM, etc) the rom was actually on a seperate prom chip, so replacing it was just a matter of pulling the prom, burning a new one, and away you go. Luckily for us nissan (ok, hitachi) designed the ecu so that the rom on the micro could be disabled and an external rom used instead. Thats what the JWT daughterboard does. So all of the factory rom (modified, of course) is on the daughter board (its a bit more than just maps).

Answer your question?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes, it does. I was just wondering if the JWT ECU was an internally mounted piggy back, or an actual reprogram.

Thanks, Calum.

Incidentally, I watched Soylent Green with Charleton Heston a few months ago, and that is some funny stuff. "TELL THEM ALL, GODDAMNIT, SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE!! ITS PEOPLE!!" ROFL....

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
dreadsword said:
Incidentally, I watched Soylent Green with Charleton Heston a few months ago, and that is some funny stuff. "TELL THEM ALL, GODDAMNIT, SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE!! ITS PEOPLE!!" ROFL....
Ummmmm.....ok...... :eek:
Don't know how it relates to this thread but I'll keep that movie in mind.... ;)

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
dreadsword said:
LOL! THat was in reference to Calum's profile text - look under his user name on the left....
:eek: Ahhh.....ok, gotcha.... :D :tongue:

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I pulled the thing apart, its legit. $200 is a pretty good deal i guess. Plus another $100 to get it reprogrammed for the VE. Cant wait to take it to the track with the higher rev limit and proper injectors.

nathan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts