SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I got a JWT ECU for $200 and will be getting the VE reprogram soon. I should be able to give a good review of the differences (fuel economy, driveability, 1/4 mile time) as i have been on stock ECU and injectors since august.

nathan

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
i was on my stock for 3 months. i could give this info now if anyone needs it.

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
stock ECU got pretty bad gas mileage in the first place for me. maybe its because i constantly floored the damn thing. but id say 250ish to a tank. to be honest when i swapped in the ECU i couldnt tell a difference from my butt dyno if there was a power gain. but im sure a dyno would tell, and id love to hear the results of that swap on the dyno. im sure it smoothed things out, or atleast did something, or else JWT would probably be out of busniess.
anyway, in theory the car ran even richer before the ecu because the stock ECU was sending injector pulse for a 30% smaller in size DE injector, therefore the motor ran 30% more rich than it does now with the JWT. now thats RICH. but now with the ECU i guess the mileage has improved a bit but id still like to see more, as im lucky to get 300 to a tank now. but i have a walbro fuel pump. which is on the stock regulator, but for somereason i still know its rich. the dyno will tell. and i have a nismo fpr ready to go on soon, and ill post results after the dyno runs.

·
Infiniti Parts Guy
979 Posts
When i ran the stock ECU it was sluggish and i had some cold start and light throttle hesitation. Gas mileage was good (high 20's to low 30's), but down from my DE (low-mid 30's).
Switching to the JWT ECU I noticed a better idle, reduced hesistation and ever so slightly better gas mileage. Definitely felt peppier and more eager to rev too (possibly due to a lower than ideal timing setting with the DE ECU?).
It was worth the upgrade, IMHO.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I am going to run my stock ecu until I get a reprogram too. I am going to use a bored maf with it to lean it out a little so the larger injectors won't make it run as rich.

·
Infiniti Parts Guy
979 Posts
98sr20ve said:
Sleeper is running the OEM ecu the right way. Unlike all you lazy people who never swaped the injectors out ;).
The stock ECU has adjustability in it and can compensate for a variance in injector sizes.... ;)

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just talked to JWT, I ship my eprom off tomorrow. They recommended that i do not raise the rev limit to 7950 without changing cams and springs to the sr16 ones. They said that the valves WILL likely float if i rev to 8000 all the time on a stock sr20ve. Hmm, im not sure what to believe cause i keep hearing different things from different people. I guess ill just run the 7500 rev limit until the cams come out later this year.

nathan

·
WASHED UP
2,440 Posts
sr20sleeper said:
Just talked to JWT, I ship my eprom off tomorrow. They recommended that i do not raise the rev limit to 7950 without changing cams and springs to the sr16 ones. They said that the valves WILL likely float if i rev to 8000 all the time on a stock sr20ve. Hmm, im not sure what to believe cause i keep hearing different things from different people. I guess ill just run the 7500 rev limit until the cams come out later this year.

nathan
get the 7950 you woulnt like the 7500 rpm limit.

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
yeah it can adapt some but thats a drastic injector size change,,,basically if you dont have the money for a ecu and never plan on getting it, swap the injectors, if u plan on getting jwt, then leave everything as it is, as it will cause you trouble havint to swap everything BACK in when u get the ECU.

funny. they NEVER warned me about any such thing until i called back 2 months later. i never requested a higher limit. the just set it at 7950 without telling me and sent me on my way. i have revved past 8 2 or 3 times and nothing yet. those times were accidental and unplanned.

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kesi24 said:
get the 7950 you woulnt like the 7500 rpm limit.
For arguments sake, let me say that most VE dynos peak around 6900rpm or so and falls off sorta quckly. What are the real benefits of revving to 7950 given that JWT says its risky. I have no experience with building motors, i just swap them in so i really dont know anything about floating valves aside from the theory of why it would happen. Keep in mind also that i run hotshot gen3 headers and a 50mm exhaust for the time being. Would you still recommend the 7950 and why? (just curious)

nathan

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
where the heck did you get a jwt for $200. Or was it one that already had been programed by them and they just charged $200 for the reprogram??

On gas mileage I get about 20-22 mpg city and about 30+ highway with the sr20ve ecu in my b13, using ve maf and injectors. Mods are jwt pop charger, stillen header, 2.5 inch exhaust. Only problem is the ve ecu only lets me rev to 7200. Eventually planning to get sr16ve ecu with sr16ve cams. Figure the price will go down once the jwt cams come out.

I don't go to the track (yet) so as a daily driver this setup is fantastic, and I figure why spend the extra $600 for the jw ecu, especially in a b13 when you can get (and use) a sr16ve ecu that revs to 8,200 for half $300. For b14 not an option of course. I thought about getting the sr16ve ecu stand alone without cams but this would be dangerous. I'd be too tempted to rev. it to high. With the sr16ve cams should ve safer for the engine (pun intended).

·
Like it or Don't Like it
1,084 Posts
7,950 or 8k reving the stock VE won't hurt it and as kesi24 said you won't like it reving 7,500 my car keeps pulling good all the way to 8k and I guess many of us just rev it up there to keep higher on the power band.

but my engine is a happy engine and no problems at all and its a daily driver. revs 8k every time it gets floored. :D

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Digitek said:
7,950 or 8k reving the stock VE won't hurt it and as kesi24 said you won't like it reving 7,500 my car keeps pulling good all the way to 8k and I guess many of us just rev it up there to keep higher on the power band.

but my engine is a happy engine and no problems at all and its a daily driver. revs 8k every time it gets floored. :D

Hmmm, im not sure why JWT would tell me that then, unless for just liability reasons. They said they will give me 7950 but with a disclaimer. They said the valvetrain is different from the sr16, not just the cams. But i swear people on the forum say its the same as the sr16. As far as the ECU for $200, some guy was selling it on forumshawaii.com with a turbo program on it. So i just have to pay the extra $100 for JWT to switch the EEPROM or whatever they do. he lived like 5 minutes away from me. I guess i got a steal, he would have taken less but i didnt want to be an ass.

nathan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts