SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that the JWT Motor mounts might be my next mod. The reason is when I drop the clutch I get mad wheel hop. My car shakes violently, like its possesed, up until maybe 3 or 4k. I only have an AEM CAI, so im not making that much power either. Im hoping that the motor mounts will cure this. Anybody know how much they go for? BTW, does anybody else have Bridgstone potenza RE 950's, and if so, do you get wheelhop? TIA

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
mpg9999 said:
I was thinking that the JWT Motor mounts might be my next mod. The reason is when I drop the clutch I get mad wheel hop. My car shakes violently, like its possesed, up until maybe 3 or 4k. I only have an AEM CAI, so im not making that much power either. Im hoping that the motor mounts will cure this. Anybody know how much they go for? BTW, does anybody else have Bridgstone potenza RE 950's, and if so, do you get wheelhop? TIA
they're $250 for the set. i'm running the Bridgestone potenza RE730's. i get a lot of wheel hop, too. i'm eyeing the ES inserts as an alternative (read: less expensive) to the JWT mounts.

·
SERCA-SoCal
801 Posts
i have the JWT mounts and very happy with them, installing them was a PITA! but very much worth it. no more wheelhop. if you ever decide on getting these mounts, email me, i have a few tips that will make the install easier.

Tevs

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
Not that the JWT mounts are not a good idea (I have them and I love them)
But motor mounts would not be the first place I checked if I had wheel hop.
How is your front suspension? the bushings? how about your tire pressure? and your alignment settings?
just some food for thought.
Later
David Lau

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Gotta go with David on this. The JWT mounts are good but you need the ES bushings to make it really work good. Install is not to bad if you have a press:p

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tire pressure is around 24 at the track, and around 30 on the street. I get wheel hop in both instances. I have no idea how to tell how the bushing are on my suspension. My car is properly aligned.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Yeah, I put the ES motor mounts in, just the two at the side so far and it made a big difference, no more car jolting around when I let go of the throttle :) They were only like 40 bucks canadian for the first two, so that is way cheaper than the JWT units, although it takes a bit of creativity and a lot of patience to install them.
About those ES bushings, I was thinking about getting them, but I asked the guy at the performance shop how the ride would be and he said "rock hard". Anyone have them? is the ride streetable with AGX's and 300/200 springs?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Test your motor mounts as follows. Start car, pop hood, pull the throttle cable to rev the engine. Did the motor move more than 1/8"? If it did, you need the mounts. Place Racing has rear, left, and right mounts for around $190 with $100 core for stock mounts. Get the ES dogbone and you're good to go. Or pull a Ben (Sentra) Davis and pump some black silicone window adhesive in the stock mounts and let dry for a few days. Not bad for $5.00.
Cheers,
Charlie :)

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
FastNX said:
Yeah, I put the ES motor mounts in, just the two at the side so far and it made a big difference, no more car jolting around when I let go of the throttle :) They were only like 40 bucks canadian for the first two, so that is way cheaper than the JWT units, although it takes a bit of creativity and a lot of patience to install them.
About those ES bushings, I was thinking about getting them, but I asked the guy at the performance shop how the ride would be and he said "rock hard". Anyone have them? is the ride streetable with AGX's and 300/200 springs?
I have had the ES bushings in both my 91 ser (w/agx and gc's, 350f/250r, st bars, 14inch wheels/tires)
and in my 92 nx (agx's, stock springs, 15inch wheels tires)

I liked both and I will put them in this car when money comes available. It does not make the ride harsh persay, it just makes everything work like it is supposed to, less deflection, more direct turn in, more precision.
stock struts and springs and es bushings would ride like stock but handle better..
make sense?
all IMHO, of course.
david lau

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the ES lower control arm bushings. They do help alot with wheel hop and traction. When i used to power shift 2nd gear i would get a rolling burnout to redline in 2nd. Now i get a reall vicious chirp/peelout, and then it grips and goes. Much better traction if you ask me :) Only down side is that yes, you do feel bumps a tad more. When a road has an uneven surface, liek a ppothole. or a strip cuto out of the road during construvctione tc etc,. It I guess mostly when you have uneven surfaces with a step up. The solid urethane bushing dont let the tires flex forward and back, so you feel the impact... just slow down for those and youll be fine ;)

-David

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Yeah, I have the JWT mounts and they are indeed SOLID. I don't get near as much engine deflection and the car vibrates like a truck (not necessarily a bad thing).

However, I do still get wheel hop and I believe that it is because everything else in the front end is stock except for some Tokicos and Eibach Sportlines (I hate these damned Tokicos).

It sounds to me like these ES bushings are the way to go to get solid launches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts