SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
old school
504 Posts
Read Mike's thread in this forum on the HS gen 6 and the S5 cams. I wouldnt call JWT since they aren't ready for sale yet.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
chris13bsr20 said:
Read Mike's thread in this forum on the HS gen 6 and the S5 cams. I wouldnt call JWT since they aren't ready for sale yet.
No they are ready for sale. Read my post for details. Good for about 6 whp over S4's but best with adjustable timing gears and tighter lobe centers.

Mike

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
choaderboy2 said:
No they are ready for sale. Read my post for details. Good for about 6 whp over S4's but best with adjustable timing gears and tighter lobe centers.

Mike
I just talked to them yesterday and they said they would be ready in a few weeks. Who told you they were for sale already? I'm stuck between VE or DE with S5's...............

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts
akapaul said:
^^ pick the VE ;)
I second that and here's my reasoning.

My DE has i/h/e, plus JWT ECU & S4's.
My VE at the moment is stock with i/e & JWT VE ECU.
(Header soon to be installed when I'm off work long enough)
My VE without the VVL kicking in feels almost as fast as my modded DE.

If the S5's give you about 6 whp over the S4's, I'd still go VE if given the choice between the two. However, if a swap is not in the budget and you need a nice power increase, the S5's look like they will deliver a nice increase that gets better with the more mods you have on the motor.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
nismo200se-r said:
I just talked to them yesterday and they said they would be ready in a few weeks. Who told you they were for sale already? I'm stuck between VE or DE with S5's...............
Clark Steppler half owner of JWT, Ben's boss.

Mike

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
Contact SR20Dev. i think they have the S5's in.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Witt19 said:
is this going to make s3's pretty obselete?

I hope so, I'm hoping to pick up a cheap set of used S3's or 4's when the S5's become available.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
No, that's like saying C3 cams make C1 cams obselete. I think what everyone is missing here is that while the S5s will add lots of top end power, they will decrease the low end power significantly. There are already alot of people saying S4s make the car too slow at low RPM, S5s will make this even worse.

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
2xSE-R said:
I hope so, I'm hoping to pick up a cheap set of used S3's or 4's when the S5's become available.
My sentiments as well. If I can get a used set for $350 I'd be a happy camper and I wouldn't have to worry about trying to save for the Tomei 256 cams. :D

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
I might have a set of S4's for sale in a couple weeks. but these are still brand new, i will put them in but most likely not more than a month of wear will be on them. i will be selling for $450 or so.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Witt19 said:

Despite what someone else said, I believe so, yes. Just as the S1 and S2 cams are obsolete when the S3's arrived, then the S4's came which started to become more popular and now the S5's - except for the fact that you need the cam gears which might drive more new comers towards the S4's.

·
BOOSTIN AIN'T EASY!
656 Posts
Hey Mike Have they done any tuning with the s5's and some boost? Just curious as to how much it might help my t28 compared to my s3's.

Richard

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
I really think you guys need to go back and read about the specs of these cams and what size cams are good fro what application. The S5s have alot of duration and alot of overlap-much more than S4s. S4s straight up have too much overlap for a small turbo (T25, T28) so the S5s definitely will.

Despite what someone else said, I believe so, yes. Just as the S1 and S2 cams are obsolete when the S3's arrived, then the S4's came which started to become more popular and now the S5's - except for the fact that you need the cam gears which might drive more new comers towards the S4's.
I think it would be safe to say the S3HLs make S3s obselete and S4HLs make S4s obselete. The S5 is somewhat of an extreme cam for those who can tolerate a crappy idle and loss of low end. That does not make the S3 and less suitable for small turbos and people who want a good idle and retain low end power, it simply gives another option for people wanting a wild cam and do not want to buy springs and retainers

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
bickricksr20 said:
Hey Mike Have they done any tuning with the s5's and some boost? Just curious as to how much it might help my t28 compared to my s3's.

Richard
They have way to much overlap for a small turbod motor.

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts