SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked to post this about 4 months ago... sorry I post that much!
To fit the KA alternator on the SR20 all you need to do is bore out the hole that the long bolt goes through... and not alot either.. its about 1mm to small ... just bore it out and the rest fits with no problem... any ?'s ..... good then get to work!

·
Registered
953 Posts
That's dandy that you got it to fit.

If it works, that's a totally seperate question, since the armature inside and all that are different between the 2 units.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SoSideways said:
That's dandy that you got it to fit.

If it works, that's a totally seperate question, since the armature inside and all that are different between the 2 units.
I HAVE USED IT FOR ALMOST A YEAR.... BOSH HAS DIFFREND OPTIONS ON AMPS YOU CAN UPGRADE IF YOUR RUNNING A STEREO SYSTEM .... I DONT HAVE ONE SO I GOT THE BASIC AND IT WORKS GREAT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You don't have to bore it... you can just use one of the bolts, can't remember which one now, and run it from the back. It's a little pain, but will save you hassel if you ever have to return a defective unit.

However most "parts people" wouldn't know the diff. anyway.

·
4-door sr action
579 Posts
on mine i had to grind down the little bolts on the back of the alternator to make it fit , and bore the hole for the tensioner because the ka one is threaded an sr is just straight through
and you should change the pulleys becuase the sr is a 6 rib and the ka is a 5 rib
i have used ka24e and ka24de alternators

also you can use the power steering pump from the de motor you just have to change out all the bolt on parts, i.e pulley, return pipe, bracket.....

·
4-door sr action
579 Posts
rotor vs piston said:
You don't have to bore it... you can just use one of the bolts, can't remember which one now, and run it from the back. It's a little pain, but will save you hassel if you ever have to return a defective unit.

However most "parts people" wouldn't know the diff. anyway.

i work at autozone, its not that we don't know the difference its that we don't care

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok, im picking up a 240SX in a week or so, and i plan on swapping a SR20 into it in a month or so once ive got the chassis prepared, and i have all the parts i want to install on the engine. but until then im going to need a more powerful alternator. i can get a 200A KA24E bolt on for like 350$. I should just have to bore the holes out a small amount and then bolt it on correct?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Luda said:
because i want to get a HO alt b4 i get the SR20, and i dont want to spend another 350$ for another alt
Then why not turbo the KA-E instead of getting an SR? You're gonna probably end up spending about the same for a sick KA-E setup for a stock SR swap...

Plus you'll get to use the $350 HO alternator that bolts right up to the bracket with NO modifications!

·
Registered
12 Posts
i can get a SR20DET bolt on alt as well. or a custom bracket 300A. and i want an SR cuz the KA has 128K miles on it. and im rough on my cars so i need something newer. and im rebuilding like 1/3-1/2 of the SR when b4 i do the swap. and the Sr has more potential, bigger aftermarket.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well you were talking about getting a KA-E alternator for the SR, so I was just asking why not get the right alternator to go with the engine to begin with, but in a HO version, that's all.

Carry on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey sorry to bring back a dead thread but the bearing is going in my SR20 altenator and was wondering if anyone knew if the bearing is the same as the KADE bearing. so i could just swap them out

·
My N2K is drivin me crazy
42 Posts
Well IDK if FWD and RWD alt. are the same, but I tried the alt. off my 94 KA24DE(altima) on my 93 FWD highport SR20DE. It fit perfect. Bolt holes and all. The only diff was the KA pulley was maybe 1/4in smaller dia. Same rib count same case same amps. No need for a smaller belt either, and mine was really old and stretched way out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts