SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advantages of boosting the KA over swapping to the SR20? I'm only guessing here, but it seems like the KA would be a good foundation for boost. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The KA has more displacement and a decently designed cylinder head. Also in its favor is a stout iron block. In essence it is a good motor to turbo.

It's a load of **** to be telling folks with 91 240SX to turbo their high mileage motors. So sometimes it's more than worth it to swap over to a lower mileage SR20. And if turboing a KA is your thing, then I'm sure there are lots of unwanted low-mileage KA24 motors being sold for $400-800.

To prove that the KA is a great motor to turbo, Duy's S14 (well it's no longer his) was doing 10 second quarter miles with the help of a very large turbo and nitrous oxide. Search the FreshAlloy forums for all the details.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I saw a nice turboed late-model 240sx with a turboed KA engine at Cayuga running mid-13s, which I thought was quite decent.

My dad's car is a 1995 240sx Le, which he bought new in 1994. It only has 50,000 kilometres on it, and I secretly covet the idea of eventually turboing that motor.

It's really barely broken in, with that mileage (kilometerage) :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here we go......

Damn this is an ongoing battle of SR vs KA. Just do your research and choose on that data. Both are good motors.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I suppose it comes down to all out power and availability of parts and what not in this debate. IIRC from some posts on Freshalloy.com (where this topic has been beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten to death again) a ka-t w/ right around the same hp as a DET beat out the det in the 1/4. It might have been attributed to driver's skill but can't totally remember the specifics of the post. The ka-t will have more torque and should make more power at equal boost as well because of displacement and all other things being equal. Slap me if I'm talking out of my ass here though since I'm not a total turbo geek or guru.

Mel

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Here we go......

TX180SX said:
Damn this is an ongoing battle of SR vs KA. Just do your research and choose on that data. Both are good motors.
Sorry, but I do not have a 240SX, nor do I plan on getting one. I have no clue as to what has been beaten to death in the KA world. I thought I might try to help this new forum to get going by posting a question that popped into my mind when I first saw this new forum and began to wonder about the KA.

Thanks to everyone else who responded :)

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I saw the dyno charts for a turboed KA, it mad some mad torque yo! Heh... anywayz, yeah, displacement will do that for ya, where you have more torque, you'll have more horsepower. From all the dyno charts of big turbo sr20s, they don't have that great of a power curve as far as it having a flat torque curve. It seems like it takes until about 4k rpms, and then suddenly you get a 300 hp jump in the next 1000 rpms. Not a real usable power curve for road racing I don't think (or you just gotta stay in the upper parts of the rev band). The KA that I saw had a pretty flat torque curve. If I remember correctly, it was making a bit over 300 whp and 320 lb-ft torque. You guys remember the project 240sx in SCC? JWT made some cams which apparenty totally transformed the motor and made it rev happy. Hmmm.... cammed rev happy KA with a big turbo...hmm...

·
Registered
249 Posts
The KA will make more torque unless you do the stroker kit that many company's offer. Then the odds are a little more even. As far as daily drivability well if you plan on putting a big turbo on either then you can kiss that goodbye. Actually drivability is dependent on the person that will be doing the driving. My tolerance is different from yours. If you want to talk about building both to the utmost level(something that only a few will acheive) then at the moment the SR will win. The R&D on the SR is unbelievable. Everything that can be done has. The KA aftermarket is still in it's infancy and probably won't grow to the potential that it can as the 240 has been discontinued. :p

·
Registered
782 Posts
One BIG advantage is that there is a nicely constructed manifold for KA motors available in the US.

RevHard makes a manifold that will accept a T3 or T4 flange and can sit the turbo up top or down below.

KA Piston design isn't the greatest. The rod/stroke ratio isn't very good in the KA. 2.4L of displacement; gotta love that!

SR has plenty of aftermarket parts available , except manifolds. Everything else is already produced or can be produced.

In my opinion, both motors can be very good platforms on which to upgrade. Like Al said, it is a little easier for a high milage S13 owner to purchase a complete front clip and justify it whereas a S14 owner who has a low milage KA in the car will have to decide which is the beter way to go!

·
Registered
782 Posts
TX180SX said:
Actually there are way more SR manifolds than KA ones. Way more.

I think you are missing my point entirely!

When making a decision on what to do:

1. Condition of motor: For High Mileage S13 & S14 it would be a less expensive situation if you were to purchase a $2500.00 S13 Front Clip than to pay $4500.00 for an FMAX kit and use it on a motor w/ 100000+ miles!

2. Power Output: Now for anyone who is wanting HIGH HP figures, a stock DET will only handle so much power before the cast pistons decide to give in! Also, A stock T25 turbo can only produce 240-250 whp!

3. NEED: Like I said before, depending on what your goals & uses are for your car, this will change dramatically from person to person.

Louis

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm not missing your point. I am simply making a statement to clear up your lie about the
SR has plenty of aftermarket parts available , except manifolds.
That way someone not knowing any better will not make a descision on false statements.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Here we go......

TX180SX said:
What about the CA18DET? hahaha, i've read those discussions... Plastic motor(CA) vs. aluminium motor(SR) vs. Iron motor(KA)

·
Registered
249 Posts
hehe yeah on every forum that I have been to those topics are always the longest threads. Lots of opinions. Quite a bit of factual information but with the KA aftermarket still in the early stages and not much support for the CA here in the states it's not really a fair discussion on which is better. Personally I always recommend that everyone do lots of research on each engine and learn about each ones characteristics and decide based on which one best suits their personalities. :D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
from what i have read the 2.4 does weigh more than the 2.0. but the 2.4 is alot more liminted to horsepower than the sr20. i have only seen at the most 350whp out of a 2.4 but have seen in the upwards of 500+hp outta the sr20det.

jimmy
1996 200sx gti-r motor
http://www.eiptuning.com/projects/200sxser1stpage.html

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually there is a KA S14 doing 10.8's in the quarter. It runs a T70 so it's probably pushing some serious hp. There are 6-700hp SR's in japan as well. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts