SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Barney will pwn you
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 97 SE-R, and it has Ob2 and it sux. Isn't there a way to kill it by switching something with a 95 SE-R or something like that? I want to do this b/c it a pain in the butt to work with if your trying to JWT headers, cams and ECU. Also, this temperature thing by the intake. I just cut a hole in a tube and put it in the intake. Isn't there a way to bypass all this?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would leave the sensor in the tube. Someone of the GA16 BB had to buy a new one, and it was about $90. Its not goiong to hurt anything with it in the tube. Why do you say OBD2 makes it hard to add a header, cams or ECU? The header and cams from a OBD1 car are the same as the OBD2 car. The ECU is diffreent, but JWT can hook you up. You can remove all of it, but you would have to change sensors, wiring, ECU. The money it would take to do this, you could use to make the car very fast.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERracer01:
Ok I have a 97 SE-R, and it has Ob2 and it sux. Isn't there a way to kill it by switching something with a 95 SE-R or something like that? I want to do this b/c it a pain in the butt to work with if your trying to JWT headers, cams and ECU. Also, this temperature thing by the intake. I just cut a hole in a tube and put it in the intake. Isn't there a way to bypass all this?</font>

There is no need to bypass anything. All products are designed to be OBD-II compliant and not trigger any codes. Mike's car even has headwork and 11.3:1 with no codes.

95 has OBD-II anyway and the 91-94 OBD-I harness and ECU are way different.

I think after seeing what kind of tuning info you can get from OBD-II with a scan tool or software you might just fall in love with it.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I don't think the 95 had obd2. I think it started in 96 b/c all manufactures were required to go to obd2 by 1996. I could be mistaken though. that is why people experienced the slow ass 96 syndrome and the even worse 98 syndrome b/c nissan went to a emissions friendly engine/ecu

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
I don't think the 95 had obd2. I think it started in 96 b/c all manufactures were required to go to obd2 by 1996. I could be mistaken though. that is why people experienced the slow ass 96 syndrome and the even worse 98 syndrome b/c nissan went to a emissions friendly engine/ecu

</font>
The 95 SE-R has OBD-II this I am sure of. Ryan B's car is a 95.

The SA 96 syndrome was a product of a bad run of cams that were degree'd wrong. It has nothing to do with emissions, nor does the performance of the 98's. My 97 ran a [email protected] with just a home made airfilter set up and nothing else.

The reason for slower times on the 98 was the lack of LSD.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 12-31-2000).]

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, ok, I guess I was wrong. I still don't think that the lsd has anything to do with a rolling acceleration though. (unless you have a traction problem) but the et on the 98 compared to the other years could be b/c of no lsd.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
Yep no problems with '97. First and only time in my life ever draggin at the track last year and with only CAI I pulled a 15.5 @ 87.69 on crappy stock RS-A's (that had no treads left)and a crappy 2.44 60' time. LSD makes a huge difference.

FYI, In that run I raced a Neon that kept begging me to go against him, some Marine off duty. He had every aftermarket bolt-on available (CAI, 4-1 headers, UR pullies, Cams, etc) and tied me at 15.5!
He was so pissed. He raced at this track like every weekend also. LOL

------------------

'97 200SX SE-R
JWT ECU, Place ECU

1 - 8 of 8 Posts