SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I did my searching. I couldn't find any pictures of what the knock sensor looks like or where it is. I know in the back of the engine under the IM and it's a bitch to get out. But I am a seeing kinda guy. I can do more with photos than words.

I got the code, so I want to check everything out before I go but a new one. (I don't like to get used stuff.) Anyway...does anyone have pictures? Can someone send me a copy of some kind of write up from the FSM. I don't have one and the stupid Haynes book don't say **** about it.

Thank you,

Jason

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
blairellis said:
IM me, I have a picture for you.
Can you post it here? I need to replace my knock sensor as well.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
you guys are pansies ;)...jack the car up enough and slide your ass under the car. look up under the manifold and you will see this.

·
love the Florida sun!!
1,906 Posts
Speaking of knock sensor...what harness does it plug into? I looked at mine and its disconnected.....but i cant find a harness thats loose.....

·
as loyal as my options
584 Posts
can you get a picture or illustration of the location on the low-port or someone post a pic of what the actual sensor looks like, i don't exactly know what to lokk for.
thanks

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NismoPC said:
No problem. I just got confirmation from UPS this morning that it will arrive TODAY!

Holy cow! I ordered it yesterday morning!!!! :eek:

Wow good stuff. So, did you get it? I'm about to spend $280 in parts that I need. I don't need nothing going wrong. Shoot...actually, you've saved me almost $150! I want to buy so many things on there that I don't need. Haha. Good thing I'm broke...I would put them outta business. :tongue:

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
This was for a low-port intake:

I received the knock sensor as indicated the day after I ordered it. Amazing delivery time!

Anyhow, I tackled the removal and install of the knock sensor this evening. Getting the bolt loose was not that bad. You have to use a 12mm wrench because nothing else will fit in there.

Once you loosen the bolt, you need to pull the sensor wire up through the top of the intake so you have access to the damn little metal clip that holds the plug in place. Install the new sensor, replace the metal clip, then drop the sensor back down through the intake tubing.

It was a PAIN IN THE ASS to get the bolt back in to place due to the angle you have to get in there. Plus the freaking hot water tube and hose is right in your way of the bolt. That took the longest to complete.

Since the torque setting is 15-20ftlbs, a standard human can tighten the bolt with a wrench and it will be damn sufficient.

All done, took a drive and regained my low end acceleration, mild idle cure, and have a smooth powerband overall. I am very pleased. Car has 93,000 miles on it.

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
i dont even have a knocksensor hooked up is that bad?

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd say no. When I was researching, alot of people were telling others how to just diconnect it. It's one of those funny objects that are good and bad. It tells you somethings wrong, but doesn't tell you what. But I'm replacing it because I guess your timing retards as to avoid detonation incase something is wrong. My car feels so slow. I don't know what it is, but it felt alot faster when I first had it. Hmm...

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
mYseRgOesvrOOm said:
........My car feels so slow. I don't know what it is, but it felt alot faster when I first had it. Hmm...
As well it should since the ECU will play it safe and has thus retarded the timing..... ;)
I'm willing to bet that the same has happened to me since my G has given me the knock sensor code.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.