SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that i can use a set of front shocks from a b13 becuse they give move wheel travel than b14 when its drop.
Im planning to get agx b13 with Ground control CO b14 for the front.
Thanks for any help.

·
Boost is fun!
106 Posts
I know this has been talked about over and over again, but i still dont get it :melonscratcher:(go ahead, call me slow) but why is the travel gain only on CO and not springs? how would the newer hypercos or road magnets do? (i ask cause the threads that talked about b13 fronts/b14 rear threads are old). and if there is a little gain back, would you use b13 springs or b14 springs for the b13 fronts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
grm22 said:
Is it true that i can use a set of front shocks from a b13 becuse they give move wheel travel than b14 when its drop.
Im planning to get agx b13 with Ground control CO b14 for the front.
Thanks for any help.
The difference is minimum between the B13 and B14 AGX front. Koni is a different story.

AznFreakyGuy said:
I know this has been talked about over and over again, but i still dont get it (go ahead, call me slow) but why is the travel gain only on CO and not springs? how would the newer hypercos or road magnets do? (i ask cause the threads that talked about b13 fronts/b14 rear threads are old). and if there is a little gain back, would you use b13 springs or b14 springs for the b13 fronts.
Not sure what you mean by "why is the travel gain only on CO and not springs?" Usually, shortened struts (e.g. Custom Shortened Koni struts, Motivational coilover) is how you can maintain reasonable suspension travel when dropping your car. You can also gain a little travel by adding aftermarket mounts if it is available.
Here is the link to the thread B13, B14, B15 Suspension Information, answered all my suspension questions and save me a lot of time. Thanks, Shawn.

·
Boost is fun!
106 Posts
i have looked at that thread many times and have got stuff from it, but what im askin is if using b13 front agx in a b14 will regain some travel if used with lowering springs like hypercos or road magnets.... ive searched and ppl say that you only gain travel back if you b13 fronts with coilovers on the b14, i was just wondering why.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have looked at that thread many times and have got stuff from it, but what im askin is if using b13 front agx in a b14 will regain some travel if used with lowering springs like hypercos or road magnets.... ive searched and ppl say that you only gain travel back if you b13 fronts with coilovers on the b14, i was just wondering why.
You will gain a little travel (about 1/2") by using B13 AGX front struts instead of B14 AGX front struts. On the Koni, the difference is a lot more (about 1”).
Here is the link of the comparison, the pictures don't work anymore.

·
1/4 MILLION MILES STRONG!
407 Posts
So the B13 Front AGX struts are the same exact struts as the B14 AGX struts just slightly shorter? If there is no possible down fall of using B13 AGXs verses B14 AGXs in the front then I am all for it. Can anyone possibly think of potential problems? I would be running a hyperco set up with them myself.

When I say down fall an example would be does the B14 AGX have a diferent dampening forces then the B13 AGX since there is a weight difference in the two cars.

·
407 Posts
Ok I am going to look into this since no one can answer this. I will be back with an answer. I hope lol.

·
8,886 Posts
So the B13 Front AGX struts are the same exact struts as the B14 AGX struts just slightly shorter? If there is no possible down fall of using B13 AGXs verses B14 AGXs in the front then I am all for it. Can anyone possibly think of potential problems? I would be running a hyperco set up with them myself.

When I say down fall an example would be does the B14 AGX have a diferent dampening forces then the B13 AGX since there is a weight difference in the two cars.
I would use the B14 AGX simply because it should be stiffer then the B13 unit. The difference in actual travel is about 1/8 and inch. Hardly worth mentioning really. Search for a post by eric96ser. It's a couple years old min. at this point. He basically blew the myth up with pictures.

·
407 Posts
Good info. See this thread just turned into real valuble info. The typical reader would have said more travel thats great. That is what I thought and almost did not bother to ask the question about the difference in strut stiffness. I am glad I did though because now others will know. Thanks again for the info. Anyone object to what was just posted. Steve's knowledge in suspension is pretty strong.

·
8,886 Posts
Good info. See this thread just turned into real valuble info. The typical reader would have said more travel thats great. That is what I thought and almost did not bother to ask the question about the difference in strut stiffness. I am glad I did though because now others will know. Thanks again for the info. Anyone object to what was just posted. Steve's knowledge in suspension is pretty strong.
Problem is I don't KNOW that the AGX for the B13 is any weaker then the B14. The B14 weights more so it makes sence that the B14 unit would be stiffer but with out checking with AGX in some fashion we will not know for sure.

·
Boost is fun!
106 Posts
wonder what the anwsers gonna be..

·
407 Posts
ANSWER : This is what they had to say.

The AGX we offer for the B13 is an inch shorter on the compressed length
and is firmer than the AGX for the B14 and the height of the spring seat
is lower on the B13. Over all the struts for the B13 are a little
shorter than the struts for the B14.

This is interesting because I did not even think of the spring seat. Where the spring seat is located also will affect the travel. What do you guys think? I wanted a direct answer as to witch gives more travel and is firmer but they seemed to have answered this in a way that will make us think a little. Thats ok though. :biggthump

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts

·
SR20 apprentice
1,977 Posts
Any updates on this tuned gxe? Are you gonna run some b13 front agx's with RM's/ Hypercoils on your b14? I'd figure if they are just as sturdy as the b14 fronts and bolt right up why not do it? Every lil bit of suspension travel helps.

·
Registered
270 Posts
ANSWER : This is what they had to say.

The AGX we offer for the B13 is an inch shorter on the compressed length
and is firmer than the AGX for the B14 and the height of the spring seat
is lower on the B13. Over all the struts for the B13 are a little
shorter than the struts for the B14.

This is interesting because I did not even think of the spring seat. Where the spring seat is located also will affect the travel. What do you guys think? I wanted a direct answer as to witch gives more travel and is firmer but they seemed to have answered this in a way that will make us think a little. Thats ok though. :biggthump
If the spring seat is lower isnt that why some b13 springs are longer the fronts for a b14? Not sure just a thought because i read about GC for b13's being longer in front than b14

·
Boost is fun!
106 Posts
when i get my RM im going to use use them with b13 fronts. Wont gain much but eh, i dont think ill have any problems with it, i hope lol other b14 ppl have used them with coilovers no problem, wonder if anyone used them with springs..

·
407 Posts
I have to wonder though if we really would gain travel considering the spring seat is lower on the B13 AGXs in the front. You know what I mean. It is tricky.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts