SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put AGXs on my car and I'm wondering what people think as far as settings go for autocross and general driving. I took out my prokits and put stock springs back in, I'm also running ST swaybars front and back. Any suggestions?

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

G

·
0 Posts
Autocrossing is damn fun, but tough on the car. Try setting up your KYBs with the rear stiffer then the front. This way you can get a little more oversteer. You can also control oversteer/understeer with rear tire presure. I have been autocrossing for quite some time in my NX and have learned a trick or 2. The KYBs are a great choice for the $$. I purchased the GABs (big$$) before the AGXs were even out. I run Eibach springs and rear ST sway bar (the front one sits in a closet). The tire presure did the most for me, oh, and so did the P-Zero tires. Best street/track tire I ever ran. Enjoy the autocross.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I set the front to 3 and the rear to 8, with stock sway bars. My tire pressure was a bit low last time I ran, around 40 or so, next time Im going up to 45.

-jason

·
Registered
708 Posts
My first autox in my SE-R was on asphalt in San Diego at the "Q". I ran them set at 1 on the fronts and 8 on the back and did quite well. My next autocross was at El Toro MCAS on brushed concrete and this setup didn't work at all. For one the nose would dive in the corners and I had terrible understeer. Stupidly I didn't adjust between runs and I learned a lesson there. But later doing some X runs I increased the fronts to 2 and decreased the back to 6 and increased my rear tire pressure to 44#. This worked pretty well but improved my times by 1.5 sec. But I think I might go to 3 on the front and add 2# to my rear tires next time. I run Yoko AVSi's 205x14x60.

------------------
Art R.
1992 Sentra SE-R
SCCA Solo II Driver
Cal Club #823 E Stock

[This message has been edited by Trys_Hard (edited 05-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to see some people who autocross here now

I have run my NX about 8 times in local autocrosses. I also got to run my friends WRX last event

I bought the car with a lost of mods on it putting me into DSP, but the struts and springs were shot so it didn't handle too well. I finally put AGXs on so I'm excited about the possibility of a more predictable, adjustable setup.

I think I'll start at 2 and 6 and mess around from there. I'll probably run twice to get more chances to set it up right.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
What tires are most of you running?? Im thinking of trying something other than the Kumho's (I run DOT racetires since I run Street Mod) I thought about Hoosiers but they are pricey

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

G

·
0 Posts
"Scarpa" WRX? How was it? I'm dying to know how that beast would do when pushed.

"RacerX" Can't be helped bloke, the Hoosiers are lighter and faster. They wear faster too. I myself am a bit cheap when it comes to racing so I buy harder race tires. Hoosiers will spank.... You'll just have to play around with the tire presure though and most important, MAKE SURE YOU HEAT CYCLE THEM OR HAVE IT DONE BEFORE PURCHASING (I think www.tirerack.com heat cycles). You can do it by driving them mildly for (I think it's) 10 minutes and then let them cool for 24 hours.... then do it again to play it safe. Once that's done they will last longer and perform better. Less chance of chunking also.

It's the "dogs bollucks" to see other people autocross these great Nissan machines.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RacerX:
What tires are most of you running?? Im thinking of trying something other than the Kumho's (I run DOT racetires since I run Street Mod) I thought about Hoosiers but they are pricey
</font>
Hoo$ier$ and BFG G Forces are about the only thing that can match/exceed the performance of a Kumho. Problem is, Hoosiers are expensive and don't last as long as Kumhos, and G Forces are getting scarce. Tirerack was having a special on G Forces, though, to try and clear the stock.

A guy I know is running Hoo$ier$, and he and his co-driver went through a set after one local autocross and a Pro Solo. :O He's trying the roadrace compound now to see if that holds up any better.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
When my car was stock:
front=1
rear=8
rear toe = 1/2" out

I arrived at these settings at an Evolution Dial-in school last year. I usually won D-stock locally and usually was in top 10 pax.

Good to see discussion other than drag/street racing on this board. Now, if we could just get a few of you on the road course

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Registered
708 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slowSER:
Hoo$ier$ and BFG G Forces are about the only thing that can match/exceed the performance of a Kumho. Problem is, Hoosiers are expensive and don't last as long as Kumhos, and G Forces are getting scarce. Tirerack was having a special on G Forces, though, to try and clear the stock.

A guy I know is running Hoo$ier$, and he and his co-driver went through a set after one local autocross and a Pro Solo. :O He's trying the roadrace compound now to see if that holds up any better.

</font>
Tire Rack is having a Sale on BFG R1 Rains.
$49 each. I bought two sets. Ran them for the first time last week and won my class. I am going to buy a couple more sets before they run out. They were 205x55x14's.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whoah I didn't even notice this thread was still alive.

I ended up running 2f/6r. The car handled pretty nicely and was fairly neutral. I was lifting my inside rear around the corners, the course was basically sweeper, straight, sweeper, straight... Pretty boring, pretty fast, pretty easy.

I run Potenza RE730s on front and RE71s in back. I meant to have the RE71s up front as they're supposed to be stickier but the guy who did my alignment also rotated the tires for some reason. I was too lazy to fix them. I really really want to get some Kuhmos on my stock rims, I was 3 seconds off the top time in DSP and I think I could have made a lot of that up with race tires.

The WRX is a lot of fun, and hard as hell to drive compared to the NX. Whereas the NX is point and shoot the WRX is all about planning ahead, getting the car to rotate early so you can stomp the gas way ahead of time to counter the lag. Feels great to get the car sideways though and have that turbo spool up and shoot you out of the turn. Unfortunately I was killing cones more than pulling clean drifts. I was running about 4 seconds faster than any of the WRXs out there last weekend. They were all on street tires as well. Seems that the lack of low end grunt is a big disadvantage in those cars.

We need to get an autocross forum next to the kill stories!!

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
Good to see discussion other than drag/street racing on this board. Now, if we could just get a few of you on the road course
</font>
I'm already there! =) Now, I just need to drive on a track not named Buttonwillow Raceway... Like Willow Springs, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill... heh!

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R (retired)
1993 NX2000 (E-Stock autox slut, for now.)

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 05-10-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
anyone done a cage yet? I had Mosler weld in a second frame underneath to help stiffen the NX2000 w/Ts. There are 2 spot welds on the B pillar that separated. Great car though. Autocrossing does wear the front bearings pretty hard, so think of checking those after 50,000 miles.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
A cage was the first modification I made to my SE-R. I got a lightly used Autopower cage out of an old SSB race car.

Fortunately, I have not needed to use it yet

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts