SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Old
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever had these go bad? Do they have any kind of a warranty if they are over a year old?

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
94 Sentra XE-Sold :(
pix

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chrissy:
Has anyone here ever had these go bad? Do they have any kind of a warranty if they are over a year old?

</font>
Depends on how much the car is lowered. It says right on the package warranty void if ride hight is altered. They have a good warranty beyond that. Mine have been on over a year without a problem.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
</font>
Here's a question for ya... What shocks DON'T go bad?

SE-Riously, though... My KYB AGX's are very slowly on their way out after 27,000mi of daily driving which includes 9 autocross events and 5 track days. FYI, I'm using Ground Control coilovers with 350f/300r spring rates. Either that, or I'm just becoming a wimp and can no longer stand the slightly-harsher-than-stock ride. Driving around a stock-suspended NX2000 sure put things in perspective for me.

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
1993 NX2000

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Tell me about it. The ride is beginning to really annoy me. I've had my suspension on since last October. It's starting to drive my crazy. Don't know how much longer it will stay on the car.

·
Old
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah these must have like 40k on them...I am guessing. I think its time to replace them, at least the back ones. Yeah my ride is harsh as hell. It bounces really bad too, and I have them set on 5 now too.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I run mine with 3 in front and 6 in rear, but it is not too bad with my pro kit.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Tell me about it. The ride is beginning to really annoy me. I've had my suspension on since last October. It's starting to drive my crazy. Don't know how much longer it will stay on the car. </font>
You're using Eibach Sportlines with the AGX's, am I correct? Those springs really slam the car down with not-so-stiff spring rates, leaving the car with not much suspension travel left, and therefore having the car bonk on the bumpstops quite often. I had Eibach Sportlines on my SE-R, and it was on the stock struts. I was surprised the stock struts held on that long (10k+ miles), but I'm sure I was on the bumpstops more often than not. With my GC's, I have the car set only about .75" lower than stock height.

Little-to-no suspension travel will kill *any* shock/strut really fast!

Yeah these must have like 40k on them...I am guessing. I think its time to replace them, at least the back ones. Yeah my ride is harsh as hell. It bounces really bad too, and I have them set on 5 now too.</font>
What kind of springs are you using with your AGX's? I usually have my rear shocks set at 5, and the ride isn't too bad. My car seemed floaty in the rear with any setting below that.

--Andrew Phan

·
Old
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine also has the pro kit. Mine are 2 in the front and 5 in the back. But the wheels keep rubbing really bad. And when I go over any little bump at all in the road my trunk flies open! Talk about annoying, now I need a new trunk latch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
BTW, what settings are recommended for these? My wife's 200 has a set, stock springs, and IIRC the # of settings is different F/R and I had to guess what would be a decent setting for each end. Comments?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tigermiata:
BTW, what settings are recommended for these? My wife's 200 has a set, stock springs, and IIRC the # of settings is different F/R and I had to guess what would be a decent setting for each end. Comments?</font>
Try experimenting with the settings by starting out with the middle adjustment for both the front and rear (2 front, 4 rear)... Too harsh? Bring it down... Too soft? Bring it up. "Decent" settings are subjective.

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
125 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
Try experimenting with the settings by starting out with the middle adjustment for both the front and rear (2 front, 4 rear)... Too harsh? Bring it down... Too soft? Bring it up. "Decent" settings are subjective.</font>
That's where it is, now; thanks anyway.

·
Registered
241 Posts
On average how long do stock struts last? I have 91K on my 98 SER and I would like to get Ground Control coil overs soon. I don't plan on going real low, just eliminate some of the wheel gap and tighten up the feel of the car. Would new struts be a good idea now or or later on when they are really shot?

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spudnex:
On average how long do stock struts last? I have 91K on my 98 SER and I would like to get Ground Control coil overs soon. I don't plan on going real low, just eliminate some of the wheel gap and tighten up the feel of the car. Would new struts be a good idea now or or later on when they are really shot?</font>
New struts are a absolute must. Ground Controls are going to be twice as stiff as the stock springs. They will eat up and spit out stock struts in a matter of 10-12k miles. Not to mention the ride would suck on the stock struts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soupaflie:
Depends on how much the car is lowered. It says right on the package warranty void if ride hight is altered. They have a good warranty beyond that. Mine have been on over a year without a problem.</font>
How can they tell if the car was lowered too much? I bought mine back in february and was wondering if the lifetime warrenty would cover mine? When i purchased mine, i believe it was only a limited warrenty.

markp
red200sxser
AIM:mapball20

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
damn Chrissy, seems like something is always going wrong with that 200SX..
time to move on,..buy an NX!

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
I think 96 200SXs are prone to problems...

Mine:
exhaust rusted and fell off
clutch went completely at 59k
Engine toasted at 70k

Friggin POS... o'well the new engine only has 28k... we'll see what happens.

------------------
Greg Taylor
Black 96 200SX SE-R
More info on my car

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, if you want a real one get a 98. no cheap cat back, most stbs will not fit, no lsd, the list goes on.

·
Old
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just have minor stupid problems.

There is a hose hanging in the engine and I have no idea what it goes to...
I had to replace my trunk latch today...very embarassing to drive down the road with your trunk bouncing.
My back struts are gone...
Car squeels when I start it...
There are no threads on my shifter...(shift knobs comes off)
My clutch is crunchy...
And I notice more things when I drive it. Right now I am just wondering what will be stolen off of it tonight. My lugs and valve caps are being stolen, little by little. I bought 4 sets of locking lugs tonight! Mwahaha! **** sorry that got so off topic. :-/

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
ya, if you want a real one get a 98. no cheap cat back, most stbs will not fit, no lsd, the list goes on.</font>
Custom made cat-back are far better than most aftermarket ones. Courtesy has an STB that fits. I have one. A $650 tranny and one axle shaft will solve the LSD problem.

You still have a car that looks unique and was only in production for one year after its minor redesign.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
163 hp, 124 lb-ft torque
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts