SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a pair of KYB rear strut mounts from Tire Rack for $34 each. I'm installing my Hyperco G2's in the next month, so I figured I'd retire the 12-year-old mounts on the car for some fresh pieces with new rubber and see what the KYBs are worth. The pic on the site looks nice, right?

I opened the boxes and got these:

"Where's the meat?" Apparently, my definition of strut mount differs from KYB. What you get are what Nissan calls the mounting insulator (see the OEM parts / parts diagram). You provide the upper spring seat with the studs. Oops, should have known - those are side-specific. If you just want new mounting insulators, any discount dealer like Mossy could get the same part for the same or less money, and you might as well support them.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're not even built identically, which shows the sort of lowest bidder world we live in. The one on the left was made in India, the right in Taiwan. They appear to fit the same and be built to the same specs, but the Indian piece has a crappier coat of paint and lacks the "L" and "R" stampings on the Taiwanese piece. I guess Taiwan wasn't building them cheaply enough.

I've bought OE Nissan parts like door hinges with pretty sorry, banged up paintjobs, too. The Indian mount is pretty bad, though - orange peel texture.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Be careful with these. I did the same thing (long story) and got the same pieces. I ended up having to buy new OEM Nissan pieces for the front, because the rubber bushings in the KYB parts gave up. I had mad tyte camber, yo! The rears are still OK, but I am keeping an eye on them.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

I didn't use them on the car. The original 12-year-old mounts weren't damaged or rusty, so I reused them. If there was any improvement in the KYB mount rubber versus the old, I couldn't find it by prying around. I'd rather my $68 back.

I called up Tire Rack, got my return number, and dropped them off with UPS today.

Lesson learned: if you need hardcore rear mounts, go Shigspeed pillowball. Otherwise, reuse or buy new Nissan.

·
Registered
847 Posts
this exact same thing just happened to me as well.. but not only did i get those.. but one of the mounts in the box was completely different.. but the part number on the box was correct.. haha.. those bastards.. still gotta call them to get a return number...

·
Registered
494 Posts
JimR said:
Update:

I didn't use them on the car. The original 12-year-old mounts weren't damaged or rusty, so I reused them. If there was any improvement in the KYB mount rubber versus the old, I couldn't find it by prying around. I'd rather my $68 back.

I called up Tire Rack, got my return number, and dropped them off with UPS today.

Lesson learned: if you need hardcore rear mounts, go Shigspeed pillowball. Otherwise, reuse or buy new Nissan.
Where can you get the Shigspeed Pillowball Mounts. Are they for the b13? Whats the going price on the part. Thanks Dominic

·
SE-Ruper Dooper Sentra
536 Posts
Shigspeed Pillowball Mounts
For the B13, Yes
Price, just email Scott and ask him.

[email protected]

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
If anyone wants some FRONT strut mounts, i have OEM Nissan ones that were slated for my black car. i originally bought them thinking the squeaking i was hearing was bad mounts until i replaced my control arm bushings. i was gonna install them when in put my GenIIs on... but that damn Messican took care of that...

ANYWAY.. i am selling them if anyone wants them.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scott Higashi makes the pillowball mounts using the stock pieces. He requires cores to press out the old rubber "donuts" and install the pillowball joints.

Shigspeed is not a huge operation. Pretty low volume, so the pillowball mounts don't crank off a conveyor belt (thought that would be cool). Top-notch parts, but anyone wanting them should discuss things with Scott in advance of planning a suspension project.

There's some good information the archives.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How much do you want for them? I'm getting ready to work on the front end of mine. thanks!

BigB said:
If anyone wants some FRONT strut mounts, i have OEM Nissan ones that were slated for my black car. i originally bought them thinking the squeaking i was hearing was bad mounts until i replaced my control arm bushings. i was gonna install them when in put my GenIIs on... but that damn Messican took care of that...

ANYWAY.. i am selling them if anyone wants them.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
let me see how much i paid for them and i'll let ya know.

Brian

·
SE-R and Prelude Nut
271 Posts
Thank you for posting this!! I was just about to order a set of all 4 of those. You saved me a lot of aggrivation and $100+. :D

Andrew

·
SE-R On A Budget
97 Posts
aklucsarits said:
Thank you for posting this!! I was just about to order a set of all 4 of those. You saved me a lot of aggrivation and $100+. :D

Andrew

Ha! Same here! I'll be canging my suspension soon and I think my upper mounts are shot.

What normally goes bad on the assembly? I have a knocking coming from my drivers front. I've been reading the strut bearing should be changed. Anything else I should look for? Thanks.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On a budget, all I would change are the "thrust bearings" and the rubber spring seats. You can do a visual check on the dust boots to see if they're bad. The mount gaskets (the red pieces here) will get brittle and fall apart, but Nissan replacement pieces are kinda expensive for what they are. You could make your own out of a gasket material and a hobby knife.

Rust belt cars might need more hardware. The metal upper mounts can trap a bunch of dirt, and if salt and crud are in the mix there might be some rust.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.