SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what can you use your laptop for in a turbo system?..what can you control/minitor with it?..and is there someplade you can get/ or find programs to use any of this?...thanks for any info..

·
Registered
62 Posts
What are you trying to do? If you want to look at the chip then it's simply a case of buying a EPROM reader and viewing via something like the ROM editor software. On the move then it will have to be plugged into something and at the moment that means an aftermarket ecu like a Haltech. This lets you view, datalog and reprogram on the move.

Down here we've been working on putting some software together which will take the signal from the consult port and display/datlog. Otherwise we programme PIC boards to take readings from sensors (temp, boost, voltage etc) but obviously you don't need a laptop for that.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya it would be nice if i could get it so it monitors the engine...maybe tells me if the air/fuel ratio is incorrect/ if i have too much boost/ top boost/ things in general you would like to know..i dont know exactly how i can get a program to do any of this..thanks

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YeloBlammo:
no..its a 91 ..so i cant buy the software..cna i do anything else?.thanks</font>
I really don't have anything useful to add, but I thought I'd mention this:

I was interested in writing a small utility that could read data from the Consult port (using a laptop) - that way, you could obtain input such as engine speed, water temp - basically, anything that a Consult tool can read. The problem is, I don't know the OBD1 communication protocol used in the '91 SE-R, and this information is supposedly proprietary and somewhat confidential. If anyone has any information on it, I'd be more than happy to try my hand at writing the utility...

·
Registered
858 Posts
mdm100 but no boost reading there but great piece of equip.imho

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pit Viper, i may have what you need somewhere here, see if this makes any sense to you.

# 1 is proprietary,

# 2 is J 1850 +,

#3 proprietary,

# 4 Chassis Ground,

# 5 Signal Ground

# 6 CAN High J 2284

# 7 ISO 9141-2 K line

# 8 proprietary

# 9 proprietary

# 10 J 1850 Bus -

# 11 proprietary

# 12 proprietary

# 13 proprietary

# 14 CAN Low J 2284

# 15 ISO 9141-2 L line

# 16 Battery Power...

·
Registered
322 Posts
The pins on the connector go like this i believe.

\ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 /
\ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 /

im sure i had the protocol here somewhere too, if i fnd it, i will post it up.

·
nothing but shenanigans
763 Posts
it's called a techtom mdm-100. has everything you are looking for.

By the time you actually figure out the pin-outs and what they run to, bread board it, test it, and make changes you will have way more than the cost of the MDM, although you will have bragging rights.

Good luck if thats the path you choose.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Try a "Perfect Power" piggyback if you want to use a laptop to control your engine. It has lots of interesting information about what your sensors are seeing, and it also allows real time tuning... Bonus. It's pretty cheap too, but can be a bastard to get installed. (Still working on mine. Got it to control AFR but not ignition timing)

·
I look good going slow
1,161 Posts
YeloBlammo said:
what can you use your laptop for in a turbo system?..what can you control/minitor with it?..and is there someplade you can get/ or find programs to use any of this?...thanks for any info..
no mention of factory settings here.

·
Registered
322 Posts
YeloBlammo said:
ya it would be nice if i could get it so it monitors the engine...maybe tells me if the air/fuel ratio is incorrect/ if i have too much boost/ top boost/ things in general you would like to know..i dont know exactly how i can get a program to do any of this..thanks
This is what im interested in, where he talks about monitoring the engines values.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts