SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put new rims and tires on my 2001 Sentra SE. I currently have the stock 16" rim. How big (diameter and width) can I go without modifying or rubbing?
I also am looking for a good tire for performance driving. I'm assuming thinner sidewall equals better handling performance. Should I try going to 17" or even 18" low-profiles? Who makes a quality performance tire that isn't excessivly expensive?
I do plan on upgrading my suspension to KYB AGX shocks, as soon as KYB starts manufacturing them to fit. (I called them. They currently have no plans to make them this year. I was told to call back at the end of the year...) With the hardened suspension (and therefore less verticle travel) I'm assuming I'm safer with a larger tire not rubbing.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Heres a common rule of thumb: don't exceed more than a +1 or +2 wheel/tire combo.

What I mean is, if you car came stock with 15" wheels, it's probably not a good idea to go any higher than a 17" wheel. (hence the +2)

Since you came stock with 16" wheels, you should be ok with 18's.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well, I have seen a B15 on 19s so that is possible, but I don't think you want 19s and performance. I agree about the 18s, thats as big as I would get.

------------------
2000 Sentra SE w/PP, JWT POP, timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nismo00:
Well, I have seen a B15 on 19s so that is possible, but I don't think you want 19s and performance. I agree about the 18s, thats as big as I would get.
</font>
That's crazy then. 19's...whewwwwwww. Talk about slowing you down. IMHO anything over 16" is just for show. The B14's handle better with 15" rims anyway.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES Bushings, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
440 Posts
Storm, have you ever seen the SEMA b15? Color changing paint and HUGE Axis Se7ens? Thats it. But I think thats cars motor is built and ha a turbo! But since its a showcar it will never see the track.

later

------------------
2000 Sentra SE w/PP, JWT POP, timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't beleive they slowed you down 0.5! I'm looking at some 18's- either 5zigen or ACE- both very light for their size, but holy smoke! Now maybe 17's would be enough... I use that Sema car for my wall paper at work :)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by audio1der:
I can't beleive they slowed you down 0.5! </font>

Well lets see:

15.1 run: 15" OEM SE-R wheels, removed spare, jack, front passenger seat

15.6 run: 17" wheels, nothing removed.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES Bushings, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

'98 VR6, stock (the womans car)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts