SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright everybody, here are my choices.

1. I can install the springs on my stock struts and hope they don't wear out too quickly, while I am saving for AGXs.

2. I can put the springs on with GR2s, while I am saving for AGXs.

3. I can spend money on an alignment now and save for AGXs. This is actually my most expensive option, since the shop I have found to do the install is willing to put the springs on since I already have them, but I must buy struts from them if I want to put any on. Their price on AGXs is way too friggin' steep to even consider it, now or EVER.

I guess another option is to sell the Eibachs I have and go with a completely new setup, but this would probably break my bank account. Gotta make the rent, ya know...

Does anyone have an opinion on how long my stockers might last with the Pro-Kits? I am assuming that these are the original Tokicos from the factory, and they feel fine and aside from being dirty show no real signs of wear. I want AGXs, can't afford 'em, and I feel like it's dumb to shell out for GR2s now because of that. BTW GR2s are the least expensive strut option I will consider. I also think that I should be able to do AGXs within two years, and that if the shop puts the springs on the bolts will be turnable at that time. I just need to know if my stock struts will last that long.

I have found a shop to do the work at what I consider a reasonable rate, so this is no longer a problem; I have priced everything out with them, and these are my current options.

Thanks again for all the help, y'all, and keep the answers coming.

TIA

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
well, to be honest, I would do it all "right" the first time.
Save up and then "BOOYOW" , slap all that stuff together!!
After reading your post , Im lost like a white sock at the laundro-mat.

Speaking of socks, heres a quick sock history lesson:
"In the 20th century nylon became popular for stockings because of its strength and elasticity. As men's pants grew longer, socks became shorter, with the word "sock" replacing "stocking" for these smaller foot coverings." :D

..........but as I was saying:
Im going to keep my stock springs and just put better shocks/struts on their. I like the PITBULL stance these cars have.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Hey Stine ,
Did you ever do that battery relo you were posting about?

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smooth -

Didn't get the relo done either, my plans for the car last Saturday pretty much got trashed all around :mad: :(

I still have the stuff and will be picking up an Optima soon. I'll try to figure out then whether I'll still do it. Trouble is, and I didn't think about it beforehand, I carry a lot back there on a fairly regular basis; especially my horns to and from gigs. They shift around a fair amount (smooth case on trunk floor + turns= shifting load) and I would hate for them to be banging into the battery, whether it was in a box or not.

Now that I know how to do it, I need to decide on alternate methods, and whether I'll do it at all... The fact is that I am not hurting for room under the hood. I really should have thought it through more thoroghly.

Anyway, I still need these strut questions answered.

Anyone...? Anyone...?

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
btt

HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP
MMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Yeah, do the install yourself! You'll save money and you'll learn about your car in a day. Undoing the strut assembly is not all too difficult. I did mine alone and when I decided to tackle my own suspension I had never touched my suspension before. I didn't have an impact wrench or good spring compressor, so I just took the strut assemblies to a shop and had them undo them. I talked my way into a free disassembly after showing them my poor excuse for a spring compressor I rented. Much safer if you're working alone IMO. Then you pop on your springs onto your shiny new AGX's, tighthen the shaft nut when the car is on the ground and your set!

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys - check out my other posts. I can't get the damn struts off the car by myself. Multiple soakings and a six-foot breaker bar didn't do the job.

Who in Cinci wants to help me?

Original question: How fast will the Eibachs wear out the stock struts?

TIA again.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Stine said:
Guys - check out my other posts. I can't get the damn struts off the car by myself. Multiple soakings and a six-foot breaker bar didn't do the job.

Who in Cinci wants to help me?

Original question: How fast will the Eibachs wear out the stock struts?

TIA again.
reminds me of doing the g/c agx setup on Tommys car, I would help, but you are too far away. good luck, rusty stuff sucks ass. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts